What's new

Anyone see David Letterman last night? 9/24/08 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone see David Letterman last night?

I won't get into detail as I don't want to break the rules here or cause a problem. I refer to a guest that had to cancel his appearance.

I thought he was on fire last night and at times, I wasn't sure if he was really angry or play acting to emphasize the joke, the way he does. I think he honestly admired and respects the guest, but he really wasn't happy was he? Especially later, that same guest was down the street doing an interview with Katie Couric and David had the live feed broadcast shown on his show for a few seconds.

I only bring this up because I was really surprised by what he did and said and he seemed to be really upset at times, but I wasn't really sure. At any rate, I thought it was a really good show and very funny. I'm sure the Ladies of The View will talk about this morning.

If this is inappropriate, then please close the thread. I don't want to risk any trouble.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Nelson, at first I thought he was just keeping the joke running, but after a while I did start to think that he was legitimately upset, and I had to agree with his point(s).

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
I watched it. I had heard about it earlier in the day.

I haven't seen Dave that sharp and aggressive in a long time.

Reminded me of his days back at NBC.

Loved it!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd be angry too if someone cancelled a planned interview with me just to give one to someone else.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought it was entertaining but incredibly incisive. I never watched Letterman in his NBC days - and I admit I didn't get him back then - but it was quite a thing to behold. The big lesson: Don't make Dave mad.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Yes, Dave was pissed. He made some good points, joking or not. The attitude even spread to Craig Fergusons show afterwards. Craig made a very good point in his opening monolog. An interesting night of television.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Some things are more important than appearing on a talk show. Letterman has had guests cancel on him before. It is part of the job. He shouldnt get mad. It is unprofessional.

I actually watch the show almost every day. I record it and watch it the following day. This means I have not yet seen this episode yet. Sounds like I shouldn't bother.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Could someone please post who the guest was that Letterman was angry with last night?

Nelson,

Could you please PM me with the name? Thanks.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
It was a Senator. Mc...something
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I don't really see any political discussion of any kind, don't see why the thread would be locked. I'm pretty sure it's not against the rules to say "John McCain" either.

Dave seemed mildly upset at first, but when he found out that McCain was actually being interviewed by Couric at that exact moment... "Hey John, need a ride to the airport?" Priceless.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, you can see a 9 minute clip on youtube. I'd post a link if I knew it, but I'm not sure it would be cool here, rules-wise. But I'm sure it's easy to find.;)

Wow, a lot more comments then I thought. Yes, I agree it's part of the game that guests will sometimes cancel due to some kind of conflict or other reason and I've seen Letterman deal with it before by getting a substitute with no issues.

So I thought Dave was going a little over the top at times, but then I thought it was like his routine he did to get Oprah on his show. But I have to agree, he was right on and made a lot of points. Seeing that guest on another show at the same time surely was a moment! It was great to see Dave so sharp and not holding back!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
IMO, Dave was not the least bit unprofessional in his remarks. Since you recorded it, I suggest you watch it and make up your own mind. Dave spent as much time praising senator McCain as he did expressing his disappointment. Myself, I think he had a legitimate grievance. The senator called Dave personally to cancel right before show time explaining that he had to drop everything because he was leaving immediately for Washington. In point of fact, McCain stayed in New York and was in the very same building in a different studio being interviewed by Katie Couric at the exact same time Dave's show was taping. I think Letterman was genuinely surprised when they brought up the CBS newsroom set on one of his monitors.

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just watched it on Youtube, and can't say I am surprised. Letterman's leanings have always been pretty obvious, which is why I don't watch his show.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit

I used to watch him before, even back on NBC, but in recent years apparently he has shown his 'real colors', now I wait till the last 5 minutes while on Leno, and then I may record his Musical guest if better than Leno's that night.

Good luck with your ratings Dave .....lucky for you that you already made your millions...

Ps: just watched it on Youtube, another sign of NBC's disintegration..............I already dropped NBC News, and now Dave is history!!!....

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The previous nite was also a lot of fun.
A former head of state who is now married to a Senator (Zack can provide names for those of you too slow to figure this out) was the guest for most of the show.
The interview went quite well, but after that guest left the building Chris Rock came out and was as funny and sharp as Chris can be.
It was great.
BTW, new Chris Rock special on HBO this weekend.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Further such comments will result in the thread being locked (or other appropriate steps). It's really up to the participants.

M.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It's not the same building; CBS News is a few blocks away. Not that it makes much difference. Dave was right on, across the board, and fun to watch.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

i don't know if it backfired. if Letterman truly wanted to hurt him, he'll not let him on the show until after the election, and invite Obama instead (if that's allowed). as it is, there'll probably be a "part 2" where they make up on his show and both get great publicity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks