What's new

Anyone else clearing out their SD-DVDs? (3 Viewers)

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tony
I have about 1600 titles in my collection. I've only replaced certain
titles that are "must haves". I've also replaced other titles that I still
hadn't opened yet and was able to sell as new. In these cases, I tried
to make enough on those titles, so that the cost of upgrading was just
a couple of bucks or nothing! Other than that it will be on a case by case basis.
I'm sticking with the majority of my SDVD for the time being.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Upsconverting to near HD quality? Sorry Ron, that I cannot agree with, upconverted SD-DVD looks no where close to HD. Maybe if your running a several thousand dollar upconverting player you might get closer, but from the likes of an Oppo, A1 or PS3, no way.

I do realize that there are titles that might takes year, or never see Blu-ray, but for most every title that does, I plan to replace it. Add to that I've never really invested much into SD-DVD so it's not much of a loss to cut out and go all HDM.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
What Doug said.

Besides, on decent equipment, DVD is still eminently watchable (with or without upscaling) and it'll be years, if ever, before most of my foreign, arthouse, independent or cult titles come to HDM. Hell, it took 11 years of the DVD format just to get Peter's Friends.

M.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I don't think we are going to see many of the film noir titles that are coming out now on HDM anytime soon. Most of my collection is of films from before 1980 so they won't be replaced anytime soon. Also they don't as yet make a portable HDM player so at this point if I'm buying it on HD DVD or blu-ray, I'm probably also buying it on SD DVD.

I will defiantly be sorry to see combo discs go.

Doug

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I think its funny at this piont when only a small amount of the titles coming
out every week are even HD,Not to mention the large amount of titles that
aren't even out Star Wars ,Godfather,Kane,Bond films,And those are big titles
what about great films that aren't even out on dvd like "El Sur"

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Not a chance! I basically have in my SD DVD collection any film that has even the slightest appeal to me. I find the upconversion capabilities of my A2 so appealing that I seriously question any further HDM purchases unless software prices come down to less than $10.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nope. For me, replacing my SD DVDs will break down into three categories

- Titles I'll gladly rebuy in HD when they become available
- Titles that I'm happy with the SD version of and don't feel the need to rebuy
- Titles that I would repurachase in HD but they will take years to come out (if ever)

Those last two categories account for a very large part of my collection.

When I do get the HD disc of a movie, I'll sell my SD disc on eBay (just like I did with an SD re-release of a movie).

EDIT: Like others, I even still have a few laserdiscs with features that never got ported over to DVD.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I used to own a litttle under 3000 laser discs of which I still have about 1000 left. The rest, believe it or not, are scattered amongst friends, since I could not find any buyers for them and I actually ran out of space to store them. Due to the attachment to my collection, I could not bring myself to sell the discs at first and by the time I decided to, there were no buyers left. :frowning: On the DVD front, I am in a dillemna as to what to do with the approx 2300 titles I have. Although I keep telling myself, that there is really no need to replace a major chunk of them, I just know that I won't be able to resist replacing a lot of them with Blu-Ray discs as and when the titles become available. I would hate to be stuck with DVDs I no longer want, like it happened with me and my laser discs. Thus, I suppose what I might do is, as soon as I see signs of the studios ramping up their catalogue releases, I will start to look to sell most of my DVDs, keeping only those titles, that I am sure will not be showing up on Blu-Ray any time soon and or titles that I figure, might never make it to DVD, period.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I never owned more than about 200 SD DVD titles, so I don't view this as a lot to replace over time. I am or will be replacing each title on Blu-ray as its released.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I always get a BIG laugh out of persons who "get rid of" all or most of their "OLD FORMAT" titles when they start buying into a new format, & then complain when those "junked" titles don't appear in the new format. I still have LDs & Cassette titles that aren't on DVD yet. I have 1500 SD DVDs now, Hi Def DVDs will be a niche format for me.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I've always only bought movies on DVD that were favorites and would be watched more than once. So I only have a few hundred DVD's.

My plan with HD is if a movie comes out on BD that I already own on DVD, then I will replace the DVD with the BD only if it contains all of the extras the DVD had. If the BD doesn't have all of the extras, I'll hold on to the DVD in addition to the BD.

For instance, I just ordered Almost Famous on BD (the UK region free version). It doesn't contain all of the extras or the theatrical version, so I'm buying an Amaray Triple replacement Blu-ray case and will use it to hold the BD and two DVD's that came with the Untitled set.

Dan_Ohio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
For me, we are replacing movies we really watch multiple times. The replaced DVDs I give to people in the family to pass around or to the local library.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I had amassed around 1,000 DVD's and started selling them off 3 years ago in anticipation of HD media--knowing there was going to be a format war and that I'd be waiting it out. I didn't jump in until this January.

At first I just sold off my "crap" titles, ones I'd buy site unseen that I thought would look and sound cool. Like "The Fast and the Furious." With no regrets there I started selling off "secondary" titles, ones I'd buy -site unseen- and found good, but would never have any interest in watching again. Like "Gosford Park" or any number of Anime titles. As of a couple of months ago I was down to around 180 discs, movies that I really enjoy and watch a lot. I also didn't buy more than 15 new releases during this time.

After all that, I decided I didn't like my collectors habit, something I never intended to do, and I plan to buy HD media more conservatively. It's a lot easier now with HD movie channels and such to pick up the slack.

For the record, estimating the total cost of my DVD library, I was able to make back about 70% on the portion I eliminated, and don't intend to remove any more titles, even as I replace them with HD versions. ( I like to A/B them, its fun for me.) I don't think I could have done nearly as well if I hadn't started started "early."

I can already tell that the "collector's instinct" has kicked in with Blu-ray, but it's a lot easier for me to say no. Still, I doubt I'll be as conservative as I planned to be. ;)

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
I'll only dump SD titles that I already own an HD version of, as I've been doing with my VHS collection. My only real reason for dumping any is to pay for more of the HD/SD movies that I still only have VHS and/or new releases. I'm kind of curious what Gamestop pays for movies. They probably have more brand new HDM than this local shop I normally pawn at.

To date, I have about 340 tapes left. I'm guessing 40 of which have never seen DVD release anywhere in the world, and there are quite a few I need to import. I'm at around 920 SD-DVDs and a dozen or so HD-DVDs.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I've sold off about 15-20 titles that I've replaced with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray counterparts, but I still have hundreds of SD DVDs that I don't plan on getting rid of anytime soon.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Like Doug said, I still have not replaced all my LDs(about 500) so no reason to replace all my 1500+ SDDVDs either, some titles yes as I have done with LD to SDDVD but probably only a select few. LDs & SDDVDs for the most part are not worth much on the used market if anything.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Hell no and I won't anytime soon. It seems like alot of the people on here haven't even heard what being multi-region is anyway. Hell, there're a ton of Asian films I'm still buying which aren't even anamorphic yet and the titles I am buying I've waited for for several years.
Hell, there are still several titles I'm needing to repurchase on my wishlist I sold off a few years ago due to debts. I'm heavily into extras so I import and look for multiple versions of a title to buy to "complete" it.
I do have both formats, but the BD player is my best friends so I own more HDDVD. I import alot so being region free or no region for high def is what draws me. Doesn't matter which format of course. If I can find a particular version of a title I'm looking for, also for a great price, I'll buy it.
I'm keeping alot of my "SD" DVD's.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I just got my BD player this week... so far the only title I have is Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire... I already own the first three on SD, and planned on purchasing all of them, I just hadn't gotten around to it yet, so I will continue that series in HD. I might upgrade if there is a GREAT price on the earlier ones somewhere down the line, but I'll probably end up with half and half.

I'll probably be upgrading very few movies, even out of my Disney collection (I'll upgrade Roger Rabbit cause I own it in every release, including LD, Beauty and the Beast, cause the first one's kinda messy, etc) I have no complaints about the quality of my DVD's when I watch them at 120" through my DVB-318, so I'll be OK if I don't upgrade everything. I"ll try to refrain from buying any new titles in SD, however, and if I do upgrade, unless lots of features are lost, I"ll either sell the movies on eBay or give them away (I gave all my Disney VHS tapes, and non anamorphic DVD's to friends with kids)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
It's generally pretty easy to pick what is likely to end up on Blu over the next few years and what isn't, so I've kept my indie and cult stuff, as well as my TV sets. Any big blockbusters I figured were fair game, as they will likely all show up on Blu within five years or so (some of them will probably be triple dipped on Blu by the time five years is up, right Lionsgate?). The few big-name titles that might not be big enough to get a Blu release within a few years, and ones with directors who were sheepish to release on DVD at first (Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Lucas) are all safely stored on my HTPC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks