What's new

Anyone catch "New Best Friend"? (1 Viewer)

I have a thing for lame cheesy movies that try to be serious, which is why I'm recommeding New Best Friend, which came out last week on DVD.

I seriously doubt that many saw this one in the theater, as it's run was quite brief. The story goes as good girl from the wrong side of the tracks (Mia Kirshner) gets mixed up with an elite crowd in college (lead by Dawson's Creek Meredith Monroe) and ends up in the hospital after a drug overdose. Poor innocent Mia's life is transformed to being fashion victim bookworm to the life of the party and getting hot & heavy with the guys and girls. Hot young sheriff, Taye Diggs is set to investigate to determine if it was suicide or attempted murder. The college kids are a bunch of somewhat unknowns with Dominque Swain, Rachel True and Oliver Hudson all in supporting roles.

I highly recommend this piece of trash candy to anyone who liked Cruel Intentions 1 & 2 and Wild Things or to anyone who plays drinking games with movies as this would be a fine film to play to.

Has anyone else seen this one? Please tell me that you didn't take it seriously.

~Kathleen :b

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Hi, Kathleen:

I haven't seen "New Best Friend", but, I did enjoy the trashiness of "Wild Things". Being a native of the deep south, I could fully appreciate the seedy southern tinge that can only truly be found in Florida, or a hand full of like places.

Incidentally... YOU are a rare breed! There are damn few females on this forum. Welcome. I've long been tempted to start a thread concerning the basic lack of female participation--this seems to be a common phenomenon, not only concerning film, but music, also. If you care to chime in, I'd be interested in hearing your perspective.

Meanwhile, you're presence is a welcome shift from the norm.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Awsome cheese. I laughed my ass off. Definetly worth the $16 I paid for it. I'm sure this will get watched many times, and yes, it will make a great party/drinking movie.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Huh, Anything with Dominque Swain in it pretty much spells out cheese these days. Not just cheese, but that big fancy french word Fromage! I would recommend it just on her being in it. BTW, Happy Campers pretty well sucked, small cheese factor, but just didn't take with me.

I have not seen New Best Friend, but asked my local B&M to bring it in for me. For some reason, I really can't resist it. Now if you really want a DVD that will likely be a classic cheese fest, check out Britney Spears' wonderful acting abilities in Crossroads.

Actually I sort of enjoyed Dominque's role in Girl. Never did see the remake of Lolita, so I really can't comment on that one.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I'm guilty of this little pleasure myself...and I also enjoyed Happy Campers. They weren't really in the same category though. I would put this in the same cheese section as The In Crowd...decent looking cast with a scant plot surrounding them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks