What's new

Any X-Box commercials yet? (1 Viewer)

Shawn O

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen any yet.If anyone has seen one could you please tell me the channel(network) and during what show you saw it?
I thought that with a $500,000,000 ad campaign I would be sick of the commercials already.
Thanks,
Shawn

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
That $500 million is being spent on more than just commercials. Ads in electronics stores, toy stores, kiosks, magazines, the appearance at E3, GameStock, and other advertising media have all been taking pieces from the half a billion dollars. Its not just TV commercials.

Shawn O

Stunt Coordinator
I do realize that the entire sum isn't for commercials,but rather for the entire ad campaign.
I still thought that with all of those $$$ we would have seen quite a few commercials already.Afterall,launch is only 2 months away.
Shawn

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
Some of that advertising budget was spent on these:
gates1.jpg

laugh.gif

------------------

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was odd that there were no XBOX commercials during the skateboarding competition that was sponsored by XBOX. Lots of MSN commericials tho'.
rolleyes.gif

-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
If any of you subscribe to PC Gamer, there's been a multi-page ad promoting the "official" X-box magazine the last few issues. I can't understand why MS would target a hardcore PC gaming publication -- PC gamers historically spurn all consoles. It's wasted money, if you ask me.
I'm also surprised that we haven't seen any commercials yet. With that ad budget, we should ALL be sick of those by now.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I can't understand why MS would target a hardcore PC gaming publication -- PC gamers historically spurn all consoles. It's wasted money, if you ask me.
MS aren't paying for it - Imagine are publishing the magazine, Imagine publish PCGamer. They're trying to push the mag to their existing audience - it's in most of the game related mags this month.
They paid Microsoft a large fortune for the rights to the mag and desperately need a large audience for it.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
MS aren't paying for it - Imagine are publishing the magazine, Imagine publish PCGamer. They're trying to push the mag to their existing audience - it's in most of the game related mags this month.

Exactly. These mags are usually worth it for the demo disc alone. That's pretty much the only reason I bought their DC mag every month.
When I was in EB scoping out the XBox display, one of the hosts from ElectricPlayground came in and bought Mario Kart Advance and mentioned that they saw one of the XBox ads being filmed somewhere. I assume they should be starting up pretty soon. You don't want to start up too soon.
------------------

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Yes, in Advertising, timing is crucial to the success of an ad campaign. You want public awarness to be at a peak around the Christmas shopping season, and you do not want to create a backlash by over exposing a product.
So far, they are doing things right. I would expect to start seeing X-Box TV ads beginning in Late September/Early October ...about six weeks out in smaller numbers, and then peaking through mid November, and December.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
So, what is Bill trying to tell us in the picture above?
McXbox?
Also, don't forget that Nintendo has also announced a $500 million marketing campaign for Gamecube. I'm quite sure Sony will be playing too.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Nintendo is launchin a $45 million advertising budget for the US. Its doing what Nintendo has called a "nine week media blitz" from early November to late December. Their plan is to make everyone know what the GCN is and who made it.
Actually, Sony made a deal with McDonald's to make a demo of PaRappa 2 take place in a McDonald's. If Gates made a deal with Mickey D's also, this could be interesting.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
They (MS) is banking on the Westernization of Japan with that advertisment. The good ol' american cheese burger being a decidedly American icon to the public at large.
They are trying to break through the cultural barrier.
That Ad is implying something to the effect of, "This is American (Cheeseburger)...This is good ...This is also American (X-Box) ...This is also good ...Give Us a Chance Japan!! Good things can come from America! Just remember the Cheeseburger!"
wink.gif

McXbox is pretty good though ...especially because Bill Gates looks like Ronald McDonald sans makeup. :)
[Edited last by Sean Oneil on September 03, 2001 at 11:31 PM]

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
McXbox? There's no way that burger is from McDonalds... it actually looks good.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks