What's new

Any RX-V630 reviews and what front speakers would go well with one? (1 Viewer)

My first post here - only wish I had found this site before I bought my first receiver.
I am on a slow path to upgrading my HT setup. I would like to know if anyone can help with the following questions I have.

1. Any reviews of the Yamaha RX-V630 (as compared to simlarly priced receivers). I haven't seen many on the web.
2. What front speakers would go well with that receiver (and a budget constraint of $500 - I am from New Zealand but am quoting US$ here, which will translate to about $1500 NZ$ regardless of exchange rate).

To provide more info I am looking to upgrade from my STRDE475. As far as I can see the 630 gives me an upgrade to nice speaker binding posts, s-video and component video inputs and outputs, DPLII, more optical outputs and 6.1 capability. And its at the edge of my price range too.
I currently have a an Energy S8.2 sub, Sony DVP-S535 DVD (both of which I am very happy with), Wharfedale Atlantic centre and some modest Sony midi system front and surrounds (next to be upgraded). I've recently upgraded my speaker cable to Monster MCX-1s and MCX-5s (thats what the cable says but I can't find it on the Monster website) for some future-proofing so would be keen to know what sort of bi-wirable fronts would go with the RXV630.

Cheers.

Honestly - I would appreciate any

1. reviews on the RXV630 compared to simlarly priced receivers

2. any thoughts on suitable front speakers to go with it

I hear that the RXV630 has been out in Australia since about March. It has only just come out here in NZ. Has it been out long in the US?

cheers.

Well luckily for me I found some reviews elsewhere, and they were quite positive on the RX-V630. So off to my favourite shop for the demo.
DTS version of Gladiator had fantastic separation. DTS of Saving Private Ryan was so clear, and the DTS scene from The Haunting was down right scary (crap movie but awesome audio track). Tiem to pop in a CD and very very nice.
Also listened to the Denon 1802, but was not quite as impressed.
So not too long to go and I'll pick up the RX-V630.
And to top it off I pick up the latest What hi-Fi magazine today and the RX-V630 wins the Supertest, narrowly beating the Pioneer 811 (which had question marks over its 100w output claims). Not surprisingly for me the 1802 was well down the pack, and I have to agree with their determination that it just doesn't compare to the Yamaha. Have not demoed the Pioneer, but I'm quite happy not to.
For now I'll forget about the front speakers. So with that I would say this thread could be closed.
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks