What's new

Any reviews of Marathon Man? (Review now included) (1 Viewer)

GerardC

Agent
The Marathon Man dvd (Paramount) should be out this week: anaybody seen any reviews? I'd buy it sight unseen but with Paramount's pricing I'd really like to be certain I'm getting the definitive version in terms of OAR and quality.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Marathon Man went out a little later than the other Paramount titles due next Tuesday. Mine came in yesterday and I did take time to watch it last night, but have not had a chance to post a full review.
The "Reader's Digest" version is, it is safe. Paramount's transfer is quite good, as it usual for their DVDs. These 25-year old film elements have a few rough patches here and there, but for the most part are in good shape. As is often the case with older film elements, blacks can be crushed in some of the darker shots, but the relatively wide contrast range of DVD helps. The framing of the widescreen transfer is 1.78:1.
The original mono soundtrack is included (DD 2.0) as well as a new 5.1 encoding. The 5.1 seems to have been used more to preserve fidelity than for the multi-channel potential. The 5.1 track is essentially mono with most of the sound in the center channel. The score has a bit more depth and a wider forward soundstage than the mono track, but that's about the only difference.
I happen to be a fan of the type of documentaries that feature interviews with both actors and filmmakers that are not the usual "fluff" pieces done for the marketing department. There is a retrospective piece on this disc that I found fascinating from a film buff's perspective. Robert Evens (Producer and Paramount bigwig), William Goldman (author and screenwriter), Dustin Hoffman, Marthe Keller (who is still a beautiful woman), and Roy Scheider offer a candid glimpse of working together and with Director John Schlesinger (Midnight Cowboy) and Lawrence Olivier. Hoffman obviously has a strong affinity for Olivier as at one point he very nearly breaks down while talking about him.
There is another "making of" piece that was done at the time of the original production, but I have not yet had time to watch that. There is also some footage shot during on-set rehearsals which shows some of the scenes from the film being done in a different way. Those interested in the process of acting will probably find this sort of thing interesting.
Lastly, I consider this a classic thriller of the type modern audiences simply do not have the patience for. For those with a love of the more literary films, this is a fabulous disc of a fabulous movie.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I would concur strongly with Obi's review in all points, including the use of the 5.1. It really has a good mono feel, only pulling the score out to the sides a bit to give it a fuller, richer sound, but without moving the instruments to the side of the soundstage or anything.
The picture looked pretty nice. Not great of course, but certainly I won't gnash my teeth to watch it (whoops, a pun by accident :)).
Plus, the film itself is just such a great thriller, yet with some heart and character development for Hoffman's character. I especially love the visual metaphors of the real marathon runners.
I actually plan to vote for this to go on to the HTF AFI 100 in place of French Connection, that's how good a film I think it is.
A very respectable DVD for a great film.

GerardC

Agent
Thanks everyone for the coverage: it's on order as we speak. Having seen this only through TV broadcasts the dvd will undoubtedly elevate this movie for me to a higher plane. I concur with Seth Paxton about the great visual metaphors of the marathon runners (this was also the first thing that hooked me on the movie) but I can't say it's in the same league as The French Connection (now that's gonna be a dvd package, the BBC documentary alone is a must see). Most people will probably pick out 'that' scene for posterity with regards to Marathon Man but the one thing that puts this movie in a special category for me after all these years is the incredible sadness in the story which Dustin Hoffman captures so well in his portrayal.
Special mention for one of my favourite 'unknown' Hollywood players with regards to Marathon Man: (screen)writer William Goldman. He adapted his own novel for Marathon Man but 1976 was also the year he provided one of the best screenplays ever for All The President's Men (which is as good as The French Connection).

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Spoiler: Thanks a lot for reminding me about this movie... I have a dentist appointment today! :)
Mark

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
hmm i was looking for reviews of marathon man and found this thread.
turns out you have to pay the big picture to get to their reviews. and when i tried to get a temp membership it wouldn't admit that [email protected] was a valid email. "aol.com is not a valid .com"
huh?
:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks