What's new

Any predictions on Blu-ray TV show box sets from Paramount? (1 Viewer)

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Expecting a possible good price next month at Cyber Monday sales, I've been pondering buying DVD box sets of complete series, such as GUNSMOKE and THE STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO.

But ... what if Paramount decides to release these on Blu-ray someday? I don't want to double dip.

Would be great to have PERRY MASON in the Blu-ray format, too.

Any predictions?

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With Paramount, I would rather get the individual seasons shrink-wrapped of possible. their complete Series packing history is lousy in my opinion. Streets of San Francisco, Frasier, Perry Mason, Cheers, Star Trek TNG and Enterprise are all good examples of Bad complete Series packaging

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
With Paramount, I would rather get the individual seasons shrink-wrapped of possible. their complete Series packing history is lousy in my opinion. Streets of San Francisco, Frasier, Perry Mason, Cheers, Star Trek TNG and Enterprise are all good examples of Bad complete Series packaging

I'm liking what HBO has done with some repackaged sets and the recent Mill Creek Magnum set too, among others...

They're using 8-10 disc cases which saves space without being too bulky.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
With the decline of physical media, I doubt they would go the route of individual seasons for blu-ray releases. Most everything you referenced came out as individual seasons first on DVD because they were making the HD transfers one season at a time. For blu-ray releases where HD masters already exist, we have Mission Impossible (MI), The Andy Griffith Show (TAGS), and now Hogan's Heroes (HH). MI was of questionable design with cardboard folders, while TAGS, which came out after MI, uses standard season cases. Could be we will find out with HH where Paramount is leaning going forward. Could also have something to do with the number of disks to be included.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Expecting a possible good price next month at Cyber Monday sales, I've been pondering buying DVD box sets of complete series, such as GUNSMOKE and THE STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO.

But ... what if Paramount decides to release these on Blu-ray someday? I don't want to double dip.

Any predictions?
I would add I LOVE LUCY, RAWHIDE and the UNTOUCHABLES as options. It does not appear BONANZA has been completely transferred to HD yet. I find it difficult to predict Paramount's thinking. Many would have thought I LOVE LUCY would have preceded THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, but it didn't. MISSION IMPOSSIBLE makes some sense with the movie series on going. HOGAN'S HEROES seems to have come out of the blue. Some actively stream in HD, while others do not, even though the majority have HD masters. Should they release before streaming or after? It all appears kind of random. Anyone's guess is as good as another without inside information.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Any predictions?

(1) Double-dipping (or triple-dipping if you go DVD Season Sets > DVD Complete Series > Blu-ray) is just a side-effect of the hobby. You just have to decide whether to get what you can today, or hope that something better comes along tomorrow. I go back to getting things on Betamax, then LD, then DVD, then BD, and now UHD. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

(2) There's absolutely no data with which to make any kind of predictions what Paramount -- or anyone else -- will do in terms of releasing anything on physical media. Other than maybe that we can predict that there will always be Star Trek on physical media as long as physical media exists. Quite frankly, I never would've believed they'd release a BD Complete Series set of Mission: Impossible, but there it is.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Television shows on blu ray (or 4k) are so sporadic you just have to buy what's available (and be grateful!), it seems very random to me. There are too many shows not on DVD or some with one season on blu ray and the rest on DVD (if at all). You also have to scour the world.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Personally, as much as I've always been about physical media over streaming, the streaming option for these titles is more likely than physical media releases. I've been enjoying Perry Mason in HD from Paramount+ through Amazon Prime. I'd be more than happy if they would just get some of these out quicker in the streaming platform then worry about the one off blu-ray releases that may or may not ever come.

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
(1) Double-dipping (or triple-dipping if you go DVD Season Sets > DVD Complete Series > Blu-ray) is just a side-effect of the hobby. You just have to decide whether to get what you can today, or hope that something better comes along tomorrow. I go back to getting things on Betamax, then LD, then DVD, then BD, and now UHD. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

(2) There's absolutely no data with which to make any kind of predictions what Paramount -- or anyone else -- will do in terms of releasing anything on physical media. Other than maybe that we can predict that there will always be Star Trek on physical media as long as physical media exists. Quite frankly, I never would've believed they'd release a BD Complete Series set of Mission: Impossible, but there it is.
I bought all seasons of Have Gun Will Travel on DVD and would be happy to buy the complete series again on Blu-ray.

BILLONEEG

Grip
Real Name
BILL
I prefer disc copies of TV series but am very happy with the streaming series I've purchased. Now I am interested in buying the complete series of the original "Dynasty" show (With John Forsyth, Linda Evans & Joan Collins) on Vudu but all seasons are available to purchase except the last. I don't understand why.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks