What's new

Any other two Technicolor films pre 1930 that could look at as good as King Of Jazz? (1 Viewer)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Not a matter of locked away. It’s a matter of what survives in OCN form in two-color. I believe Phantom does.

When you mention Phantom, are you referring simply to the Bal Masque sequence, or have the other sequences supposedly shot in the format turned up (I remember some color footage from the opening ballet sequence turned up a few years ago, but I don’t know if that was from the negatives)?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Both of these films (Follow Thru and The Vagabond King) would be great releases. I've seen both theatrically - Follow Thru looks great and The Vagabond King has come stunning color design. They need to be more available!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
When you mention Phantom, are you referring simply to the Bal Masque sequence, or have the other sequences supposedly shot in the format turned up (I remember some color footage from the opening ballet sequence turned up a few years ago, but I don’t know if that was from the negatives)?
Are there color sequences on the roof of the opera house?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I believe there are two sequences that survived in color.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I believe there are two sequences that survived in color.
What a great film - the audiences must have been stunned to see sequences in color! Two years later King of Kings those scenes look great in that film

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Was the entire film shot in color?

No. Only a few select scenes from Phantom were shot in color. The only such scenes that have turned up so far are the first half of the Bal Masque scene (the Photoplay restoration digitally colorized the second half of the scene) and some footage of the opening ballet sequence, though I’m not sure if that’s the other scene Robert was referring to. The rest of the film was shot in black and white and was tinted for release, with the Handschiegl inserts in the rooftop scene.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
No. Only a few select scenes from Phantom were shot in color. The only such scenes that have turned up so far are the first half of the Bal Masque scene (the Photoplay restoration digitally colorized the second half of the scene) and some footage of the opening ballet sequence, though I’m not sure if that’s the other scene Robert was referring to. The rest of the film was shot in black and white and was tinted for release, with the Handschiegl inserts in the rooftop scene.
It really is one great film have you seen Paramount on Parade?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
IMG_0742.JPG

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
UNBELIEVABLE! No one can find relatives of DaSylva he was a Paramount exec for years! DaSylva passed 1950 Ray Henderson 1970 guess we have to wait to any chance of copyright expires looks like no heirs so good chance no more copyright
Other titles have gone Pd, oversight or just a lapse in judgment on someone's part result in a wonderful film tossed on the heap of PD...

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks