What's new

Any online reviews of Super Troopers on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I found one negative review online from someone who truly hated the movie but that's it. I'm surprised no one else reviewed it. I know this didn't get the best reviews from major critics but there were people that found this to be more than just a vulgar police academy ripoff. I thought this movie was hilarious but would like to hear a review of the extras. The reviewer I read did not even watch the supplements because of his dislike for the film. If anyone could post links to other reviews I would appreciate it. With only three weeks to release there must be a couple. I can't be the only one that loved this movie?

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I guess I will pose a second question in the hopes of keeping this thread from fading quickly. Is anyone at least excited about this release and will be purchasing it? I didn't expect this movie to be a huge it but I didn't think it would fade into obscurity quite so quickly. Aint it cool hyped this movie a year prior when Harry posted a rave review after seeing it at one of the film festivals and fox actually put some marketing money into it. I checked the movie forum and the discussion thread for Super Troopers did not have a single reply. Anyway I am just curious as to the level of interest.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I will be buying it. Saw it in the theater and thought it was hilarious. Doesn't look like it will have a feature commentary, but a commentary over deleted scenes. Kinda weird.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
The specs on dvd empire do not mention a feature commentary but that could be incorrect. The review I found online which unfortunately I can not remember where, hinted there was a feature commentary. Actually I believe he said there were two. He did not listen to them as he did not want to watch anymore of the film. He could have just been referring to the deleted scene commentary though. I would think broken lizard would jump at the opportunity to record a feature commentary since this was their mainstream film debut and they would want to have a well made dvd release. I hope that the dvd contains the comedy central special. Although mostly clips from the movie it contains more original material from the comedy group in character which I also found quite funny.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Thanks Brian for the link. Unfortunately I only found the single negative review I read before. Here is the Link Removed if you want to view it yourself. On a positive note it appears reading his review again that there is in fact two feature commentary tracks.

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be picking it up, too. Video (and cable) will be a big help to the film. Once word of mouth spreads we'll have another OFFICE SPACE on our hands.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I kinda liked the movie, but I haven't seen the DVD yet. You can see my review of the film by clicking on my signature pic.
I'd also be curious to hear what the commentaries are like! (Them comedy groups can make for great commentaries.) :)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Once word of mouth spreads we'll have another OFFICE SPACE on our hands.
I doubt it, especially since Office Space didn't resort to the toilet jokes - which are funny when done right. Office Space took a concept we could relate to. But I found this movie to be incredibly "Flat", I smiled a bit but nothing made me laugh out loud. It recieved a 1 star rating on my scientific system, but I still didn't find it offensively bad like that reviewer. If I was to write up a DVD review, I would watch the extras - its part of the job :) .

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Anybody else picking this up today? I picked it up on my lunch break along with LOTR and can't wait to get home. I loved LOTR just as much as the next fanboy but tonight I am firing up Super Troopers. LOTR will have to wait until tomorrow. On a side note are there any fans of Super Troopers that are also fans of Kung Pow? I kind of bought this as an impulse buy a couple weeks ago. A few minutes into it I thought I waisted $20 on a coaster. But after a while I got into it and laughed harder than I have since I saw Super Troopers. It is now also a favorite of all my movie going buddies. Even my one friend who still claims it is the stupidest thing he ever watched says Wee Oh Wee Oh every time I talk to him.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I will make one last attempt to get a discussion going about Super Troopers by giving a brief review of the disc. Excellent picture quality though I was most impressed by the 5.1 sound. I was quite surprised by the sound quality considering this was a low budget comedy. Not so much use of the surrounds but excellent dynamic range and good use of LFE. I only had a chance to listen to a little bit of the first commentarty with the director. What little I listened to was informative and was good for a chuckle. I found most of the deleted scenes to be unfunny though many of the outtakes produced a laugh. Since this title can be had for under twenty dollars I recommend it.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
My wife and I watched this one last night and enjoyed the heck out of it. She is the type that usually hates movies like this but she is meow a SuperTroopers fan. Meow I can't get her to stop playing one chapter over and over.

Meow.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Hi Everybody. First time poster-long time lurker (ever since IGN's boards went to payment)

I have a question about this dvd. I bought it and on the back of it says that it is widescreen. I played it last night and it seems to be full screen. Am I missing something? Could I have a defective disk? Any help would be appreciated.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I had actually started to write a review
of this title about a month ago.

After watching the film I decided not to.

I just hated the film. Wasn't funny at all.

I suppose this film is going to fall into
the same category of other small films that
somehow were catapulted to cult status.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks