What's new

Any Final Cut Pro users here? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
FCPX 10.3 is out. Apple put out their own presentation on it this time, it's a major release:
http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/art...ation-and-an-extra-fcpx-tips-and-tricks-video

9to5mac vid:

A number of pros are giving FCPX another look, they are coming around to it. Biggest complaint remains Apple's non-commitment to 'real' pro hardware, focusing on portables and 90% solutions for advanced amateurs.
http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/art...ody-you-know-who-has-rejected-final-cut-pro-x

I'm doing 2-3 projects a year with it, nothing major but I love to dabble and I get better every time we use it. This was my company's annual christmas party competition video:

I put my D4 into video mode and let a few of our awesome women run around the building making the shots while I had other projects during the day. Got handed a card full of clips, Over 90 cuts in a 3 minute video. FCPX made it a snap to manage the library of 100 plus clips and pick the ins and outs and put together a rough cut in about 2 hours. Had a preliminary video for the team to critique and plan improvements on. We tweaked it a few times fixing the shots that I had out of order and replacing with funnier ones from a reshoot the next day and were done.

The biggest problem we faced was that the iPhone 7 used for the 'secret' second half of our video showed TERRIBLE jello/stuttering when shown on a big screen. We didn't notice it on the phone but it really looks ugly in the video, and nothing we did could fix it. We'll know for next time, no sharp pans with an iPhone shoot. Mixing the iPhone and D4 otherwise couldn't have been easier.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Lately I've been using it to cut together multi-camera shoots of elementary school best practices of behavior management. I also have an ongoing project with interviews, which I also shoot multi-camera. They're nothing fancy, but FCP does the job and, like you, I'm getting more fluent with the controls. I just found a good overview of the color correction tools, and that has helped with inconsistencies between cameras (even though both cameras are from the same manufacturer and each custom white balanced).

My only problem is the program's RAM usage and management. Basically, it sucks up all the RAM after about an hour of editing (though how long that is sort of depends on what I'm doing). In theory, I could shove more RAM in there, which would give me more time, but the problem is still fundamentally the same. I'm hoping the update shows an improvement there, because otherwise it does what I need it to do and I don't relish the idea of switching to another program.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It does sound like a really solid update. I really like the look of the new interface. I'd like to give it a look again at some point in the future. It's just a matter of finding the time, but it is pretty low on the priority list.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I can't install Final Cut Pro 10.3 because it require Sierra. I can't install Sierra because it has issues with Aperture. I will NOT give up a properly functioning Aperture so I'm staying with Yosemite for the foreseeable future.

I despise Apple for dropping support for Aperture. I'm not asking for new features, just bug fixes for each new release of OS.

Mark

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
10.3 works in El Capitan too.
Since 10.3, I decided to keep the audio mix of my short film inside FCPX.
Like said above, the only problem is it uses all the RAM, and at least 32gb of RAM and a 512gb hard drive SSD would be a minimum for running a 15mn film edit in FCPX. Which you can't on a MacBook Pro from four years back unless you virtually empty your drive from any extraneous files.
I'm thinking of going Hackintosh since Apple left us creatives in the dust, and machines can't be updated anymore to keep up with new versions of the OS and software.
FCPX is the only reason I stay for now.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
10.3 works in El Capitan too.
Since 10.3, I decided to keep the audio mix of my short film inside FCPX.
Like said above, the only problem is it uses all the RAM, and at least 32gb of RAM and a 512gb hard drive SSD would be a minimum for running a 15mn film edit in FCPX. Which you can't on a MacBook Pro from four years back unless you virtually empty your drive from any extraneous files.
I'm thinking of going Hackintosh since Apple left us creatives in the dust, and machines can't be updated anymore to keep up with new versions of the OS and software.
FCPX is the only reason I stay for now.

Yes, I should have more correctly stated that 10.3 require a version of Mac OS above Yosemite. Aperture has most of the same glitches under El Cap as it has under Sierra. I'm sticking with Yosemite.

Mark

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Still waiting on the reasoning for 32gb ram 'necessity'.... Plenty of full length motion pictures are being edited in FCPX just fine with the RAM as it is now...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks