What's new

Anthem MRX, AVM & Amp Choices..... (1 Viewer)

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
I recently sold my entire home theater (electronics, speakers and subs) which has put me in a position to now start fresh. My old system consisted of an Anthem AVM 30 pre/pro and AVM 7 Channel Amp. It was housed in a relatively small room but powered my speakers well for years. I'm now looking at the Anthem AVM 60, Anthem MRX 720 and possible amp choices.

From a practical point of view the AVM 60 and MRX 720 seem very similar in terms of the feature set. I'm finding it difficult to quantify spending $500 more for the AVM 60 while losing 7 channel of amplification when it appears, to me at least, the processing abilities is exactly the same. They are also both 11.2 pre-amps though the AVM 60 does has balanced outputs. I could also use the MRX alone with an initial 7.2 system until I expand at a later date too but want to consider all variables for a long term setup.

On the amp side I have been looking at several choices. Initially I was considering picking up a new MCA 30 for front 3 and PVA 8 (maybe used) for side, back and atmos. The pre/pro and two amps uses my entire budget. I'd have nice electronics but no speakers!! If going the MRX 720 route, and trying to be a little thrifty and rational, I could pick up a Monolith 5x200 amp, use them for the front 3, back 2 and use the MRX guts for sides and atmos. Any issues with Monoprice Monolith amps? They seem to be well built and reputable especially with the ATI OEM connection. The later route is also about half the price too and leaves 4K towards speakers.

Any help here is truly appreciated. I've owned Yamaha, Denon and Onkyo and found the Anthem sound provided me with a more preferred sound both for 2 channel music and home theater. I am still eyeing the Marantz SR7012 closeout for less than half the Anthem MRX but just can't seem to pull the trigger.I intend to get full range floorstanders; love them Focals, with eventually going to a full 7.2.4 system. No rush just yet on atmos due to room limitations but it's a large room to power.

So I guess what would you do? Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks