What's new

Another race from Star Trek:TOS will appear on Enterprise..(spoilers).... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
According to www.trektoday.com The Tellarites are going to make their first appearance on Enterprise:

Co-producer Mike Sussman and actor Jordan Lund (Skalaar) recently spoke about the Enterprise debut of one of the original Trek's most memorable races, the Tellarites.

In "Bounty", the penultimate episode of the season, Lund plays Skalaar, a Tellarite bounty hunter who captures Archer after the Klingons put a price on his head. "We had a great time re-visiting this race, and hopefully we've been able to capture the spirit of the original, with a few updated touches," Lund wrote at the TrekBBS.

Sussman, who penned the episode's teleplay with his writing partner Phyllis Strong, praised the actor's performance. "I thought that Jordan did a great job playing Skalaar. His character is a worthy successor (or predecessor, really) to Gav, played by the great John Wheeler."

The Tellarites are the latest original Trek species to make an appearance on Enterprise, with the Andorians ("The Andorian Incident") and the Tholians ("Future Tense") having already featured in the series. Sussman said he had waited for an opportunity to bring back one of the galaxy's ugliest alien races. "I've been jonesing to get the pig-guys on-screen for a while, so I was glad it finally happened. We certainly did our best to keep the Tellarite's 'argumentative' nature alive in the teleplay."

Fans of the original Star Trek need not worry that the Tellarites will be changed for their Enterprise debut, as Sussman has promised a faithful "updating" of their appearance to reflect advances in makeup since the 1960s. "Michael Westmore did a fantastic job updating the Tellarite's look, just as he did with the Andorians. I particularly like how the new makeup manages to evoke the deep eye sockets of the original design. I wish I could put up some images... you guys are just gonna have to wait for the show!"

Lund, a self-confessed "big fan" of the original Trek, spent three hours in the makeup chair to be transformed into the alien bounty hunter. He also lauded Westmore's artistry, saying viewers "will not be disapointed by the Tellarite eyes...or nose". The actor spent most of his time acting opposite Scott Bakula (Jonathan Archer), whom he described as a "real pro". "It was smooth as silk working with him," Lund said.

"Bounty" is currently scheduled to air at 9:00 p.m. on May 14.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, I hope that one guy who keeps bringing them up is happy. :)

Not that I'm against re-using these species, but I find the level of excitement around them amusing.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Jason,

I am happy that at least they are not using an alien race that was not supposedly encountered until the TNG time frame. cough...Borg...cough...Ferengi..cough. ;) Seriously, the Tellarites are a founding member of the Federation. So they should be one of the first aliens humans should meet.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, to be fair, the history of human/Ferengi relations is sort of in flux - though TNG claimed humans and Ferengi hadn't met face-to-face until TNG's first season, DS9 pretty much threw that entire idea out the window.

I guess part of my amusement is that, within the framework of these shows, this should make about as much in the way of headlines as "Japanese guy to appear on Law & Order", y'know? That, along with how little there is about the Andorians or Tellarites or whatever to really be attached to.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I really think there is little creativity to reusing species already used.
Is it that hard to come up with decent scripts and stories that are interesting to watch?
Characters that are complex and and evolve?
If they were going to revisit so much so soon, why didnt they just create another show in the 24th century?

Whats next revisiting the Tribbles?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks