What's new

Another help me spend money thread.. Basic 2ch with growth potential or a throw away htib (1 Viewer)

bstrang6

Grip
Real Name
Brock Strang
Okay I am a 22 year old first time home owner looking for a way to stop listening to my tv speakers. I have a 51 inch Samsung Plasma (720 model) that i use for my ps3 ( strictly for dvd and netflixs ) and Dish Network hopper. I originally hoped to spend 200 ish on a throw away syatem.
I have done some snooping around at local pawn shops and local electronics stores that sell open items and have some wiggle room ( being a salesman myself, I hate big box stores) I know i can get a nice looking sony with hdmi inputs for 125 with six month warranty or 107 out the door. And there is a plethora of speaker choices locally at the pawn shops which i can get for next to nothing.
I think I have narrowed myself down to two options, but feel free to correct me.
Option one.
Pioneer htp-071
My reasoning here is that this seems to come with a real receiver which i could use as i upgrade speakers, has the hdmi inputs i need, and a reasonable price tag. While more than I wanted to spend all at once, It may suit my needs longer than others.
Option two
Buy a bargin receiver and two tower speakers
My reasoning behind going this route would be if the pioneer receiver mentioned above is garbage. I know the pawn shops has sub pre out, and enough channels for me.
Now to further clarify my desire here, I do not need top of the line ear shattering surround like my fathers setup ( Denon and polk, might not be top of the line but rocks his living room lol ) But I do need some more bass and and volume. Surround would be nice, although not a deal breaker. I totally understand the speakers and possibly the sub in the pioneer package will be middle of the road at best, but is the system upgrade-able? I simply cannot live with tv speakers anymore, I find myself watching dvds in bed on my dynex 32 inch lcd through a rca only dvd player just because my 100 dollar rca sound bar doesnt hurt my ears like my samsungs speakers do.
Thanks in advance

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
While not horrible, and certainly an upgrade from the TV speakers, that Pioneer is not a great option because it supports a passive sub, which limits your upgrade abilty.
Since you're okay with used, I'd go that route. You can get some great deals on older equipment and it will sound much better. You really don't need towers unless you're try to skip the sub. I would get some decent bookshelfs and a sub. Also, if you listen to music I recommend staying away from the satellites like the 071 has. They work great for movies, but don't do pure audio justice.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Accessories4less(known as A4L) has(had??) an Onkyo at $99 and a Denon at $119.
Both are greater options than spending $107 on that Pioneer. Since you pawn shop(so do I)...land a deal on a pair of speakers.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I'd keep my eyes open for the doorbuster speaker specials occasionally seen on Newegg or woot - these are usually a stellar option for a good 2 channel starter system. Here's an example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206

bstrang6

Grip
Real Name
Brock Strang
Well I have decided to go with the denon 1312. It seems like a killer deal t be able to get such a renowned brand for so cheap. What do you guys think about this set up?
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDHT1312BA/DENON-DHT-1312BA-Home-Theater-System-w/Boston-Acoustics-Speakers/1.html#!specifications
?worth the extra 149 for the speakers? Or just pawn shop some towers and build from there?
Btw unfortunately this project has been put on hold... unexpected expense plus best buys deal of the day landing me the owner of two new 12's I have to buy an amp and build a box for the Cadillac for have changed my focus, I'll keep a lookout on eBay for someone upgrading to snag up a Good deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks