What's new

Another attempt at limited view dvd system from Columbia House? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Received an email from Columbia house that goes to this survey.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-05-15-11-31.png
    Screenshot_2013-12-05-15-11-31.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_2013-12-05-15-09-46.png
    Screenshot_2013-12-05-15-09-46.png
    145.4 KB · Views: 46

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Someone already tried this with disposable, expiring DVD's and it did not work. The discs were chemically altered and would stop working after being exposed to air for 24 hours (or longer if you froze the disc). Of course, you could rip the DVD and get it permanently.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Steve Tannehill said:
Someone already tried this with disposable, expiring DVD's and it did not work. The discs were chemically altered and would stop working after being exposed to air for 24 hours (or longer if you froze the disc). Of course, you could rip the DVD and get it permanently.
Can't believe another corporation is trying this again. Hope they're prepared for massive failure, people are smart enough to not tolerate crap like this.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Columbia House*, along with DADC*, are owned by Sony.

Sony probably wants to keep physical format out there...no matter what the PS4 does.

*In Terre Haute, the buildings are attached.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
schan1269 said:
Columbia House*, along with DADC*, are owned by Sony.

Sony probably wants to keep physical format out there...no matter what the PS4 does.

*In Terre Haute, the buildings are attached.
Columbia House was acquired by the private investment group Najafi Companies in 2008 which then changed its name to Direct Brands, Inc. They also own the Doubleday Book Club, Book of the Month Club, Science Fiction Book Club, Mystery Guild Book Club, and several others. They shut down the CD club in 2009 but still run the DVD club. Sony still owns the "Columbia House" name which Direct Brands uses under license.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Direct Brands is Sony.

There was "anti-trust" thrown around when Sony and Time Warner were in cahoots. Another "shell"(Najafi) was created for Direct Brands with independent status...

Much like "technically" Pepsico no longer owns Yum Brands.

Another "shell" out there...

Ford. When it divested itself of Volvo, Jaguar/Land Rover and Aston Martin....the Ford Family(separate entity than FoMoCo) still owns 25% or more of each.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm glad at least one other person mentioned DIVX here 'cuz that's exactly what I thought when I read the thread title.

This is just insane. A model that did not work 15 hours ago, when DVD's were still new, is being trotted out again? For what reason? Because CH has no sense of history? Or they're hoping to make a quick buck somewhere?

I'm sorry, this just irritates me now.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
no thanks. i am a member of columbia house which redesigned its website. the redesign is so bad i haven't ordered a movie since and am waiting for my bonus points to be finally posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks