What's new

Anne of Green Gables Collector's Edition DVD - Any opinions? (1 Viewer)

SuzanneB

Stunt Coordinator
Now that I finally went ahead and purchased the dvds of Anne of Green Gables and the sequel, they have come out with a new 20th anniversary collector's edition box set:

http://www.sullivanboutique.com/Anne...Category_ID=31

What I'm wondering is if the video and sound quality are any better here than the old dvds or if it's just an addition of special features.

Has anyone seen these yet that could comment on them? If the video quality is improved I'd like to upgrade, but not just for special features.

Thanks.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I would certainly hope the are remastered, as the old DVDs are nothing to write home about.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Yeah, the old DVDs are bad enough that I just transferred my VHS to DVD. I'm certainly not spending $110.00 on a box set that should retail for half that, if not less. Sullivan Films is hardly The Criterion Collection.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
As an owner of the older DVDs, I too will be interested in any info as to possible improved image &/or audio. :eek:

ImreM

Auditioning

Unless I'm missing something, it isn't.

The Sullivan site sells the 80's version.

I think Daryl's referring to the 1934 film with Anne Shirley. (aka Dawn O'Day, who changed her legal name to the title character in the movie.) Personally, this version is still my favorite.

If that's the one he's looking for, it can be found at the Turner Classic Movies DVD shop.

--I.M.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
You would be correct. :) Dawn O'Day IS Anne Shirley. The one and only Anne of Green Gables to me. I burnt it to DVDr off digital cables TCM but would love a better quality copy. Never saw the 80's version. ;)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Considering the fact that they charge $100 US for their Road to Avonlea season sets with lackluster picture quality and missing opening credits (and they're STILL better than what Disney put out in the USA), this is really a little high. This is what Blu-Rays of these films should cost.

Also, I believe these all had their post-production work done on analog tape. The first one had cut-down theatrical issues in Japan and Israel, though.

Isn't Canada's film industry subsidized by the government? You'd think with subsidies they would charge LESS for their DVDs, not more.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Well, it says "Digitally Restored Picture" which is exactly what is said on my current dvd set with the crappy PQ. So I'm guessing it's the same crappy PQ but I hope I'm wrong. I'd definitely pay the high price for better PQ and the episode of Marilla's death. The picture quality is just about unwatchable and that's on my 36" Toshiba. I can't imagine what it would look like on a bigger screen.

SuzanneB

Stunt Coordinator

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware of this one, but with this recommendation I may just have to check it out. Thanks.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Tad bit of info you might find interesting. The actress that played Anne Shirley in the Anne of Green Gables movie in 1934 was Dawn O'Day (her stage name, real name was Dawn Evelyeen Paris). During the making of the movie she feel so in love with her charactor "Anne Shirley" that she had her stage name offically changed from Dawn O'Day to Anne Shirley (as ImreM said above) before the movie was finished. She is credited in the film as "Anne Shirley played by Anne Shirley". ;) And she played the charactor superbly. I don't know how any actress since portrayed the charactor so Anne Shirley's potrayal of Anne Shirley may seem a bit over the top to you compared to other actresses portrayals.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Well what do you know, and all these years I just thought it was a coincidence that the actress just happened to have the same name as the character!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So, who will take the plunge and let us know if this is finally a set worthy of purchase? I will even pay the "highway robbery" price of $109 IF it truly has a restored high quality picture!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I see this DVD is announced again for release on February 5th? Anyone have any comments on quality? Remastered? Inquiring minds want to know!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks