What's new

Anne of Green Gables: 30th Anniversary Blu-ray coming to the US in September (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I recently built a new computer and put a Blu-ray drive in it, so it will be much easier for me to do screenshot comparisons between Blu-ray and DVDs now.

I would prefer the original aspect ratio, but I've already watched it all the way through and didn't find the re-composition distracting at all, and I didn't watch scenes and think they were obviously missing something. With all the headroom left in the original framing of the shots that weren't closeups, it's possible that Sullivan shot this with the possibility of theatrical overseas screenings in mind.
Hi Toby!

Please forgive my posting what should be a PM here, but I'm having an ongoing problem with a 420 character limit, that I was informed should not be happening, yet I've run into this repeatedly! (To MOD's: I have posted about my latest episode on the Migration Topic!)

Anyway, the following does relate to your previous post, though it's technically way off topic:

Just thought that I should give you a heads up regarding the potential pitfalls regarding Blu-ray Screen Capturing.

Unlike with DVDs, the studios clamped down big time with the Blu-ray format. I've found the only software that's 100% successful is Leawo Blu-ray Player, which is free to download and to use. It works by using the "PrtScn" function. Otherwise, to use other software, such as VLC and MPC-HC Players, I've heard that paid for versions of AnyDVD help facilitate Blu-ray disc playback on those software platforms.

If you want more details, I can help to a point. Suffice it to say Blu-ray Screen Capturing can be a major hassle, and then some! Apart from Leawo, I've given up on the other two platforms, as the freeware that I was using (Which was hit and miss, anyway!) to allow Blu-ray Playback, and thus screenshot captures, turned out to be trial versions, that quit allowing any Blu-ray discs to play on either VLC or MPC-HC Players after 30 days! Personally, I refuse to pay a yearly subscription just for the privilege of capturing Blu-ray screenshots, but that's just me!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Last edited:

t2smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Toby
Hi Toby!

Please forgive my posting what should be a PM here, but I'm having an ongoing problem with a 420 character limit, that I was informed should not be happening, yet I've run into this repeatedly! (To MOD's: I have posted about my latest episode on the Migration Topic!)

Anyway, the following does relate to your previous post, though it's technically way off topic:

Just thought that I should give you a heads up regarding the potential pitfalls regarding Blu-ray Screen Capturing.

Unlike with DVDs, the studios clamped down big time with the Blu-ray format. I've found the only software that's 100% successful is Leawo Blu-ray Player, which is free to download and to use. It works by using the "PrtScn" function. Otherwise, to use other software, such as VLC and MPC-HC Players, I've heard that paid for versions of AnyDVD help facilitate Blu-ray disc playback on those software platforms.

If you want more details, I can help to a point. Suffice it to say Blu-ray Screen Capturing can be a major hassle, and then some! Apart from Leawo, I've given up on the other two platforms, as the freeware that I was using (Which was hit and miss, anyway!) to allow Blu-ray Playback, and thus screenshot captures, turned out to be trial versions, that quit allowing any Blu-ray discs to play on either VLC or MPC-HC Players after 30 days! Personally, I refuse to pay a yearly subscription just for the privilege of capturing Blu-ray screenshots, but that's just me!

Tony

Leawo Blu-ray Player and and Print Screen have been what I've gone with so far. So far I've tested Anne and Little House Season Seven and they both work with Leawo. I used to use Print Screen for the capture and then paste it into paint.net to save the capture, but Windows 10 gave me the option to send the Print Screen captures directly into OneDrive as png pictures, so I've been doing that. I thought about getting paid software, but some of the reviews made it sound like Leawo was as good or better than some of the paid programs.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Leawo Blu-ray Player and and Print Screen have been what I've gone with so far. So far I've tested Anne and Little House Season Seven and they both work with Leawo. I used to use Print Screen for the capture and then paste it into paint.net to save the capture, but Windows 10 gave me the option to send the Print Screen captures directly into OneDrive as png pictures, so I've been doing that. I thought about getting paid software, but some of the reviews made it sound like Leawo was as good or better than some of the paid programs.
Hi Toby!

What's good with Leawo is that any Blu-ray title will play, whereas, even with paid passkey software, some titles won't play on the VLC and MPC-HC Players. The only real downside is Leawo will only capture according to the maximum screen resolution of your PC Monitor, UNLESS special display software (That, so far as I know, has to be paid for!) is installed. I'm limited to 720p full screen captures with my PC Laptop, unless I purchase an external Monitor that's capable of displaying 1080p, which I'm not prepared to do at this time!

I'm rather torn regarding the ANNE OF GREEN GABLES Blu-ray. If only Amazon Canada wasn't charging so bloody much for it! I guess they figure we Canucks will spend any amount for Lucy Maud Montgomery's works, especially if Kevin Sullivan's name is attached to it! Well, NOT this Canuck! As far as I'm concerned, $72 is bloody highway robbery! What really sucks is that unlike some other titles, I know damn well this one will likely NEVER come down in price in Canada, so I'll just have to live the double sided DVD's, I suppose!

Tony

Last edited:

LCD22

Screenwriter
Since this concerns Sullivan's restoration efforts, it is somewhat relevant to this thread. I'm trying to weigh my options on Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel. I have both widescreen DVDs for the first and second mini-series (the latter is a personal favorite and as luck would have it, the reel was damaged and they had to rebuild using outtakes, according to Kevin Sullivan). I also have this recorded off of The Disney Channel and is chopped up into multiple parts and practically unwatchable.

Since Wind at My Back and the original 4:3 DVD release of Road to Avonlea were edited, there's a concern Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel would be too. Then there's the issue with the video quality I've heard about in the past.

I'll be fine with VHS, but again it becomes the question whether it would be as original broadcast concerning Sullivan Entertainment's history with altered products.

Last edited:

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Question: Does the blu-ray contain both Anne of Green Gables and the sequel? On Amazon it says the blu-ray is only one disc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Peg and I finally got around to watching the Blu of Anne of Green Gables. It was far superior to the flipper DVD. The recomposition from 4:3 to 16:9 was never a factor for us. We enjoyed it greatly. The picture quality was a MAJOR improvement.

It also spurred me to buy a used copy of the DVD box set so that I could see the two sequels. They were disappointing in content. They deviated so far from everything that made the original film so special. I wonder if that was on LM Montgomery or the screenwriters?

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It also spurred me to buy a used copy of the DVD box set so that I could see the two sequels. They were disappointing in content. They deviated so far from everything that made the original film so special. I wonder if that was on LM Montgomery or the screenwriters?
Kevin Sullivan Kevin Sullivan based the first two movies off three of L.M. Montgomery’s novels: Anne of Avonlea, Anne of The Island and Anne of Windy Poplars and says he “strove to retain the humour, warmth and imagination of Anne as she moves into a new period in her life.”

The third movie, The Continuing Story is a wholly original screenplay by Kevin Sullivan and not based on any of LM Montgomery's books.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As I wrote in the TV on DVD thread, Rodney, it was a horrible choice all the way around.

Not sure who thought fans of Anne would want to see her and Gil running around in France during World War I--dodging bombs and engaging in a lame plot of intrigue with that quasi-famous writer. Lame.

What next: Anne of Tattooine? :D Might as well.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
As I wrote in the TV on DVD thread, Rodney, it was a horrible choice all the way around.

Not sure who thought fans of Anne would want to see her and Gil running around in France during World War I--dodging bombs and engaging in a lame plot of intrigue with that quasi-famous writer. Lame.

What next: Anne of Tattooine? :D Might as well.
Anne of Tattooine, now having taken on a Princess Leia type role and hairdo, meets Baby Yoda (With an "A") and becomes his foster mother!

The Sagas Continue!! 😂🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks