What's new

Amplifier Inputs - Interchangeable? (1 Viewer)

Rick Shepherd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Are the inputs on an amp (CD, Aux, Tuner) specific to those devices or can they be interchanged? e.g. Can you connect an Aux to the Tuner input and vice versa?I realise that Phono inputs are generally specific.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Rick Shepherd said:
Are the inputs on an amp (CD, Aux, Tuner) specific to those devices or can they be interchanged? e.g. Can you connect an Aux to the Tuner input and vice versa?I realise that Phono inputs are generally specific.
All of the ones mentioned are straight analog and should be able to be used with any device you choose. If you mean "reassign" the names, that depends on the receiver. Many can do this, but not all.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
They're generally interchangeable, but some have extra function when used with the correct device. The one I remember is tape monitor, which allows you to listen to the tape while another device is activated for input. With HDMI, usually only one has ARC. And sometimes certain HDMIs allow control of the receiver through the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks