What's new

American Crime Story: The People v. O. J. Simpson (FX) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Clark and Darden's closing argument used evidence, logic and science so of course that couldn't hold up to a defense argument that basically consisted of a catchy rhyme. And as always, I don't know what was true and what was fiction but it's pretty fucking pathetic if a murderer walked away all because an old lady was scared of holding out or intimidated into changing her vote.

I like that the show went out reminding the audience that in all the other hoopla and debate (then and now) that two people died.

I so wish that moment with Darden calling out Cochran after Cochran said he would help bring Darden back to the 'community' actually happened or something like it.
Yeah, I loved that too and while it seems like a TV invention, I hope it happened.

And it's true O.J. was banned from his favorite golf club at the Riviera and never allowed there again. Brentwood nor Bel Air never forgave him, and for his 'non-community' ego, that had to sting.
It's not exactly justice but it is something that he was shunned from his community and that he never would have wanted to go back the community that did embrace him.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I so wish that moment with Darden calling out Cochran after Cochran said he would help bring Darden back to the 'community' actually happened or something like it (You aren't some great crusader, you saved a black guy who moved to Brentwood). A great comeback. But if not, I still applaud the writers for putting it in there to bring some semblance of self-respect to Darden in the face of his flashier and less ethical adversary.

While what was shown was an invention - it was actually a condensed version of a series of conversations between Darden and Cochran over the course of the trial.

As usual, I love the fact-check articles that follow. Here's one from Vanity Fair that gives a basic breakdown list....

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/04/people-v-oj-simpson-episode-10-recap

Most things were "true" or "sort-of" - at least for the things that could be verified. The only "false" thing they mention was O.J.'s statement he made at the Rockingham party. It was actually his son, Jason, who read that statement - at a press conference, not the party - although the speech was almost word-for-word to the actual statement.

Last edited:

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I enjoyed the series more than I thought I would. I don't get the people that are calling for Emmy's for all the actors. Vance certainly deserves a nomination. No one else stood out and some were down right terrible. Travolta seemed to tone it down a bit at some point and I have to wonder if he wasn't told to do so. I still say Cuba Gooding was just a horrible casting call and he took me out of every scene he was in.

So I don't remember...did Cochran really in his closing statements basically tell the jury to acquit even if they thought he was guilty like he did on this show?

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Emmys for Best Limited Series, Best Actor (Vance as Cochran), Best Actress (Paulsen as Clarke), Best Supporting Actor (Brown as Darden), Adapted Teleplay, plus probably one of the Directors for Best Director. My prediction at minimum.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
So I don't remember...did Cochran really in his closing statements basically tell the jury to acquit even if they thought he was guilty like he did on this show?

Cochran's summation basically centered around the idea they couldn't convict because of the untrustworthiness of the investigation and the investigators. I don't recall him flat-out saying they should acquit even if they think he did it. He would never acknowledge the possibility that his client had done it.

They put in his "if it doesn't fit, you must acquit" couplet, but I was a little disappointed they left out where he put a knit cap (like the one found at the crime scene) on his head while saying it.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Great ending and another I did not look at my watch episode. I would have loved it if they had dramatized a little the civil case and things that happened instead of a text epilogue. Would have been great to see the shoe story.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
GREAT final episode. It really took the time to show everyone's motivation for why they did what they did in this circus. Beautifully written and played, imo.

Special kudos to Schwimmer for his (mostly unheralded) performance in the series, but especially in the finale. Unlike nearly all the other characters who had great dialogue scenes in which to either show off or develop character, he had practically nothing on the page. His entire role was mostly watching and reacting to what was happening around him. And he brilliantly depicted the journey from devoted friend to disgusted ex-friend with just the looks in his eyes.

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Episode 10

A fitting end to a great series. It touched on all the key aspects of the entire circus, and for me most importantly, it brilliantly illustrated why OJ was acquitted. The only thing I think was missed, was why and how the two jury members who initially voted non guilty changed their minds in such short order.

Among the prime cuts was Kardashian's reaction in the men's room, OJ's son unwittingly getting him one of the few friends he'd have for the rest of his life, Darden basically telling Cochran to take a flying leap, Garcetti consoling Clark after the verdict.

And again, for me the cast was uniformly excellent with the one glaring Travolta exception. I was talking to a friend about the series and she and her friends think Travolta was also excellent. When I told her he was being panned, she couldn't believe it, and current research shows reviewers are split into two different camps - Travolta is as good as the rest of the cast, and maybe among the best, and Travolta is terrible. I suppose the fact he didn't detract from my enjoyment of the series says something positive about his performance. One way to gauge the quality of performances would be the Emmy nominations and wins the series garners. Like I said early on, I expect any number of actors to be recognized for their efforts here, along with screenplay, direction, and overall best series.

Unfortunately, as a nation we're not much further down the road today on racial equality than we were at that time. That said, individually and collectively we are not perfect, and the verdict wasn't either.

Last edited:

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
From TV Week

Hungry for More O.J. Programming? ESPN Aims to Please, Starting With This Powerful New Trailer for Its Upcoming O.J. Series
Apr 8, 2016

The conclusion this week of FX’s “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story” leaves some viewers feeling a void, and TV programmers are ready to fill it. Among those with new O.J. Simpson projects in the pipeline is ESPN, which broke out a new two-minute trailer today for its upcoming 7-1/2-hour documentary series “O.J.: Made in America.”

People magazine reports that the five-part project, directed by “30 for 30’s” Ezra Edelman, will launch its TV run with the airing of the premiere episode on ABC on June 11. Series telecasts on ESPN start June 14.

The project is also screening this month at the Tribeca Film Festival, and People notes that the producers plan to submit it for Oscar consideration.

Click on the link to see the trailer:
http://www.tvweek.com/tvbizwire/201...his-new-trailer-for-its-upcoming-documentary/

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, as a nation we're not much further down the road today on racial equality than we were at that time.
[SOAPBOX]That's probably true but what I like about shows where race (or any societal problem) is discussed is that it can get a dialogue going. I understand why some people would want to hide from or be scared to talk about our differences or pretend that they don't exist but that doesn't really accomplish anything so we have to address them and find a common ground.[/SOAPBOX]

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It meant something to the jury because it was the prosecution which asked for the demonstration. By asking for the demonstration, Darden told the jury that he believed that it was important.

The gloves weren't on the only reason for the acquittal. The prosecution did a terrible job, beginning with the decision to hold the trial in downtown L.A. rather than in Brentwood. Vincent Bugliosi's book "Outrage" is a very good resource on what went wrong.
Is it true that, as portrayed in the series, Darden did the glove thing against Clark's explicit orders? If so, he should have been fired on the spot. I know, they couldn't do that without admitting that Darden had just screwed the pooch as far as the trial was concerned.

I thought the Actress who did Clark was a standout along with Cochran. Blanking on both actor's names at the moment. I believed those two, most of all, were the real people.

How accurate is this series considered to be?

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
My father was the County Attorney for my county growing up, and though he rarely was involved in violent crime cases, when I asked him basically the same question at some point in research for a script I was writing, "Is there a defense for a spur of the moment crime or murder from someone who had no previous inclinations toward any crime?" he told me there was a defense plea called "Irresistible Impulse" which covered that situation. Unlikely to clear someone entirely, but taking into considerations a temporary loss of sanity in regards to what penalty or sentence would be ultimately passed down, it could be employed (though rarely).

The problem with the irresistible impulse defense is that the defendant has to admit to doing the deed, and OJ was never going to do that. Incidentally, that defense was available to OJ, but California stopped accepting it in 2002 when the state penal code was revised.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I read and watched several docs including O.J.: Made in America since this ended. Two things came immediately to my mind about this series.

This series went out of its way not to invent or show important crime events that we don’t know about in real life. Mark Fuhrman appeared on many shows including Oprah. I don’t think that it was established that he owned Nazi memorabilia. Yet they show him in the series that he has, which has some impact on things to come.

Another major crime related thing was Kato Kaelin helping OJ getting into his Limo for Airport. He sees 5 bags and OJ tells him not to touch one of them which is a major plot point that is not shown in the show.

Ken H

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
As I more or less predicted months ago, Sarah Paulson, Courtney B. Vance, and Sterling K. Brown all won Emmys tonight. Not to mention the series itself as best Mini-Series or Movie.

If you've been living under a rock and haven't seen it as yet, do yourself a favor and do so. You can thank me later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks