What's new

Amazon Finally Pissed Me Off! (2 Viewers)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Reacher Season Two will be a chore for me.
You can just wait until the entire season is available and then just pay for the ad-free service for a month, watch the episodes, and then cancel the service. That effectively makes the show a cheap rental.

That's what I will do if something I want to see comes to Prime.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can just wait until the entire season is available and then just pay for the ad-free service for a month, watch the episodes, and then cancel the service. That effectively makes the show a cheap rental.

That's what I will do if something I want to see comes to Prime.
Yeah but I won’t be able to participate in the forum’s weekly discussion about the series until after the final episode.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It dawned on me this morning that starting next year, Prime is going to cost me $175 per year, and that is IF they don't raise the standard Prime membership fee again, especially if you factor in that most of my Prime orders are now being shipped UPS Ground from the East Coast.

Prime membership: $139/yr
Prime Video (w/o commercials): $2.99/month or $36/yr

$139 + $36 = $175
I rarely watch Prime Video, so there is no way I am paying extra to get commercial-free streaming. I just will not watch any of their shows -- similar to Peacock, where I get the version with ads for free with my Comcast Internet service. I think the only thing I have watched on Prime in at least the past 6 months is NFL Thursday Night football, and that has commercials anyway.
I, too, rarely watch Prime Video, in spite of having over 200 movies I've "purchased" with those "digital credits" for using "slow boat shipping." I forget I have them as they're not on a shelf for me to see.

I *do* use it on occasion to sample something but it's rare. I certainly will *not* pay extra for "no commercials" on Prime Video.

If they'd charge an appropriate fee on those "free" streaming football games they loudly advertise (essentially remove the average fee increase for Prime it put on everyone and place it where it belongs - on those who watch) they might be able to have commercial free Prime for everyone else and likely be able to lower the annual fee. *THEN* if they'd dump all the "Amazon Studio" productions that they're vastly overpaying for they *could* lower the Prime fee. Do any of those really get watched by enough people to justify the expense?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I, too, rarely watch Prime Video, in spite of having over 200 movies I've "purchased" with those "digital credits" for using "slow boat shipping." I forget I have them as they're not on a shelf for me to see.

I *do* use it on occasion to sample something but it's rare. I certainly will *not* pay extra for "no commercials" on Prime Video.

If they'd charge an appropriate fee on those "free" streaming football games they loudly advertise (essentially remove the average fee increase for Prime it put on everyone and place it where it belongs - on those who watch) they might be able to have commercial free Prime for everyone else and likely be able to lower the annual fee. *THEN* if they'd dump all the "Amazon Studio" productions that they're vastly overpaying for they *could* lower the Prime fee. Do any of those really get watched by enough people to justify the expense?
I did find a few of Amazon's original shows worth watching, such as Mrs. Maisel and The Man in the High Castle. But there are more shows that I either didn't care for, or never bothered to try.

Personally, I almost always use those digital credits for Kindle books. I think I only used them once for a movie, and I made sure that was a 4K title that was eligible for Movies Anywhere, so I didn't have to watch it on Amazon.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I used to be a Prime membership cheerleader but lately I haven't been getting that level of service with my primary purchases, which are movies on physical media. Amazon seems to be having issues with on-time disc delivery in particular, especially with boutique label stuff. I'm often given delivery windows a month or more PAST the street date. I think this is the reason boutiques announce delays for a lot of titles - so that they can cover their butts because of Amazon's shenanigans. Most of the time, though, there actually isn't a delay because I watch unboxing videos on Youtube of the affected titles even before the street date. I've switched a good chunk of my purchases over to the boutique's own webshops and other digital retailers who tend to ship early. Sometimes I even save myself the taxes. Yeah, Amazon Prime has lost its luster big time. The only thing of some concern is if I cancel my membership, I fear Amz may retaliate by purposely delaying my orders. I wouldn't put it past them.

On the issue of Prime Video, the types of films I may find myself wanting to stream (obscurities and horror films) tend to look like crap on their service since they use old VHS masters in many cases. On a list of streaming services that are worthwhile, Prime Video ranks near the bottom for me.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

It also seems like they've been cutting back (a whole lot) on the "slow boat shipping" reward credits of late, so one less incentive for me.

And like Scott, I generally only buy digital movies from them (w/ those credits) that are 4K and Movies Anywhere eligible, so I can watch them elsewhere instead -- can't stand their app/UI on top of the fact their streams are generally lower quality w/ more playback issues than Apple/iTunes, Movies Anywhere and probably Vudu anyway. Otherwise, I tend to use the rest of the credits for digital downloads of a useful app/program (like annual tax software).

And also like Scott, I don't find much of their own exclusive content worth watching, especially now that Mrs Maisel and Jack Ryan have recently ended... and they've canceled Peripheral as well.

_Man_

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It also seems like they've been cutting back (a whole lot) on the "slow boat shipping" reward credits of late, so one less incentive for me.
Very much so... I used to get one for *every* order, no matter how small - and would always split up orders into individual items to maximize those credits. Now it's a crap shoot whether or not it'll be offered. Outside the Thanksgiving-New Year holiday period they are quite rare. I, too, use them to purchase tax software.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I have found better odds of getting the credit when ordering at least two items at a time.

Interestingly enough, I wasn't getting very many offers for them during the couple of weeks around Thanksgiving, but just got a $2 credit offer today.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, I really only reactivated my paid subscription shortly after BF day because I had a few items I wanted to buy that could make their new extra 1% cashback (for using their Amazon Visa card) plus whatever Prime-exclusive pricing pay almost for the entire month of subscription, hehheh... :D Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered... because I figured I wasn't gonna get nearly enough "slow boat shipping" credits (as I really didn't expect to buy that much physical media nor other smaller items from them anymore)... :P

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I have been getting offers of 6% back in Amazon Rewards (instead of the normal 5%) for the no rush shipping option sometimes. Other times, I am getting the digital credits offer.

Yeah, but AFAIC, it's really just 1% extra... even if I'm not a subscriber... because my Discover card is already offering 5% back for Amazon/Target purchases this quarter (though that's capped... but at a level I probably won't hit this time around)...

The digital credits are still usually sorta worth more for any smaller items (costing say under $50) I buy (and can then use my Discover card for 5% back... or some other CC-specific incentive deal like the 40%-off Amex one I posted in the Bargains section a little while ago)...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yeah, but AFAIC, it's really just 1% extra... even if I'm not a subscriber... because my Discover card is already offering 5% back for Amazon/Target purchases this quarter (though that's capped... but at a level I probably won't hit this time around)...

The digital credits are still usually sorta worth more for any smaller items (costing say under $50) I buy (and can then use my Discover card for 5% back)...

_Man_
That's a good offer, but I don't have a Discover Card. I use my Amazon Prime VISA for just about everything, and average probably $25 per month in rewards points.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That's a good offer, but I don't have a Discover Card. I use my Amazon Prime VISA for just about everything, and average probably $25 per month in rewards points.

Scott, IIRC, you also have some kinda Amex card. Not sure if you saw the 40%-off (upto $60 off) offer for using Amex card+rewards -- probably requires them actually offering it to you though. I posted about that 10 days ago...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott, IIRC, you also have some kinda Amex card. Not sure if you saw the 40%-off (upto $60 off) offer for using Amex card+rewards -- probably requires them actually offering it to you though. I posted about that 10 days ago...

_Man_
Yes, I have an Amex card, I remember you posting that offer. Unfortunately, it didn't show up in my offers. I think they put out different offers depending on which card you have.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have also been getting the “6% back” on the Amazon credit card instead of the digital credits for slow shipping and that’s been really great for me. I needed to replace some home theater equipment so getting 6% instead of 5% back on a projector and receiver amounts to a real savings.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yes, I have an Amex card, I remember you posting that offer. Unfortunately, it didn't show up in my offers. I think they put out different offers depending on which card you have.

Weird thing about that and other previously similar Amex offers is they actually didn't work for me for a year or so after I finally (managed to) switched from my ancient Optima card (from my college days) to a more up-to-date CC, their Cash Magnet... because Amazon somehow wasn't recognizing or able to handle how the rewards work for that CC -- technically, they're cash value rewards, not points (that still needed whatever conversion), so was apparently unrecognizable or something... until it suddenly started working w/ this deal.

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Weird thing about that and other previously similar Amex offers is they actually didn't work for me for a year or so after I finally (managed to) switched from my ancient Optima card (from my college days) to a more up-to-date CC, their Cash Magnet... because Amazon somehow wasn't recognizing or able to handle how the rewards work for that CC -- technically, they're cash value rewards, not points (that still needed whatever conversion), so was apparently unrecognizable or something... until it suddenly started working w/ this deal.

_Man_
Interesting. I have never experienced an offered reward that didn't work with my card, but I have never had any offers for a reward for Amazon through American Express.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

The digital credits are still usually sorta worth more for any smaller items (costing say under $50) I buy (and can then use my Discover card for 5% back... or some other CC-specific incentive deal like the 40%-off Amex one I posted in the Bargains section a little while ago)...

_Man_
My Mastercard also offers 5% at Amazon (and Target, too, IIRC) this quarter but I use that one for almost everything so it's already maxed out for the year. I was happy to see Discover offering 5% back at Amazon and Target as those are the two vendors I tend to use most this time of the year. Didn't hurt that I got a couple of additional cash back offers via Amazon for using Discover during the quarter (30% off $100 was the best) which stacked with Discover's extra % back. Because of those offers I've charged more on my Discover card this quarter than I normally do the entire year. Yes, I pay off all credit cards every month (I'm the type customer the CC companies really don't like as with no balance carried over there are zero interest charges).

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
This might not be the place for this question. We always record every show we watch but ff through commercials. Can you ff through commercials on the streaming services that have them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks