What's new

All Things Godzilla (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just watched "KGtTHM" and enjoyed it quite a bit. Damn good print and sound. It still seems like someone that doesn't quite have a grasp of the English language is writing the subtitles. I'm going to watch the American version tomorrow night.

At the beginning are trailers from upcoming DVD's and two of them are...

1) All Monsters Attack and

2) Terror of Mechagodzilla

Can't wait for them!!!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Although I am pleased that they switched from that really hard to read yellow font to a much easier on the eyes white font. That alone is a HUGE step in the right direction.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
I'm especially looking forward to Terror of Mechagodzilla. Never seen it uncut or in widescreen!

roven97

Grip
Real Name
Phil
So are the subs on the other films (GvM, GrA, etc.) the same awful yellow font that were on the Gojira DVD?

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, G Raids Again and G v Mothra both sport those yellow, narrow subtitles. These two have a font that's wider and easier to read, and white.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
In comparing these two new releases to the Japanese imports, they sadly come up short again. The Region 1 Japanese version of KGtTHM is from an inferior source print and lacks a 5.1 mix. I believe it is safe to not expect this on next two films. The American version's source material is a closer match in "Astro" but a couple of steps back in quality on KGtTHM.

In both American versions, I'm seeing the same interlacing anomaly that I saw on Mother vs Godzilla. It is subtle but still there.

Despite these gripes, I'm still looking forward to the next two. Isn't The Terror of Mechagodzilla the only film to have originally contained nudity scenes?

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
For anyone that happens to be in the Detroit area on a Saturday between June 16th through July 28th, the Detroit Institute of Arts/Detroit Film Theater is having a Double-Feature Matinee.

http://www.dia.org/dft/item.asp?webitemid=1163

20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH & SON OF GODZILLA-June 16

JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS & BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE-June 23

EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS & MOTHRA-June 30

THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND & GODZILLA VS. MEGAGUIRUS-July 07

IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA & GODZILLA-July 14

7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD & GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER-July 21

FIRST MEN IN THE MOON & GODZILLA VS. KING GHIDORAH-July 28

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
It may not have the 5.1 track, but I've seen comparison screenshots online and visually, the R1 Ghidorah looks identical to the R2, Toho disc. I'm fairly certain they just ported over the R2 transfer (which, admittedly, is kinda' soft).

I'm certainly still glad to have the R2 Ghidorah disc, 'cause it's got that terrific 8mm, behind-the-scenes footage of the set and costume builders at work and the Godzi-suit visiting the children's theme park. One of my favorite DVD extras of all time!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So I got a chance to listen to the commentary on the Ghidorah disc - wow, that dude is great. Really high energy with a clear enthusiam for the genre - and he managed to make me reconsider the camp era of the Shōwa series.

They should get him for the remainder of the commentaries.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Depending on what screenshots they are comparing, it may look very similar, but I can assure you, there are some damaged, dirt ridden areas in the R1 Japanese version that clearly separates this release from the R2. Now I just need to come up with the proof! I believe I can grab snippets from my discs fairly easily. Posting them here like I've seen done several times by other users may be a challenge, but I will work on it!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
So, if Terror of Mechagodzilla is coming up next, is there any chance of Classic Media getting hold of 1985 (or Return) or Biollante)?

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Hmmmm... I'd have to see the proof, 'cause I'd bet $$ that CM just ported over the R2 transfer. I don't have the R1 or I'd post some screengrabs myself.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Okay, I managed to get a good comparison shot (sorry, you'll have to view them as attachments). As an added bonus, you can also see that there is a difference in color timing.

Take careful notice of the three white color splotches on the R1 release. This is one of the more glaring ones. Even in the opening credits, the R1 is riddled with dirt compared to the more pristine and sharper R2.

Incidentally, this comparison clocks in around 8:27. With a browser supporting tabs, you easily flip back and forth between the attached files. You will notice by watching the slightly different position of the walking man's leg that the shots are not from the exact same moment, but be assured, the white splotches aren't in the R2.

Clearly us poor Region 1 fans of Toho do not deserve the finest that is available. I'm at a loss to figure out why. Wouldn't Toho want their name to be well represented here also?

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just watched the American dubbed version of KGtTHM and it sure is crappy, picture wise.

Let's hope the next 2 movies are better.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Well son-of-a-gun, I stand corrected. Very slight difference in color-timing, but those splotches show that this is, indeed, a different print/transfer. I feel even less bad now about spending $60 + on the R2 disc (!).

Will be passing on this R1 release, particularly since I have no nostalgia for the American edit/dub.

Thanks, Jeff!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So as I recall, All Monsters Attack and Terror of Mechagodzilla were slated for a September release. Well, it's September! Where's my Godzilla?

Anyone heard a more firm release date than that?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Someone needs to change the title of this thread given the range of pertinent discussion.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I can agree to that - How about "All things Godzilla" ?

Yeah, it is September, but I'm not holding my breath. I've figured that I'll get them sometime before Christmas - but at any rate, give the powers that be at least a week after Labor Day to get settled.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks