All Things Godzilla

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Sparks, Oct 25, 2006.

1. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    DVDPlanet just send me an email that they're both being cancelled. I wonder what happened?

2. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson Stunt Coordinator

Classic Media is selling both titles exclusively via their web site until a wider release early next year. Maybe pre-orders weren't high enough?

3. AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe Second Unit

4. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

Oh well - pity that. I'd might have picked them up if I saw them at the store, but now . . . well, I have a trip to England next month to pay for. These can wait.

5. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

Classic Media online exclusives. I ordered only Godzilla Raids Again from the website. I've already got the R2 vs. Mothra, as well as the old Simitar disc (plus I'm still miffed they're using a cropped transfer of the English-dubbed version).

If you do order both (before Oct. 27), though, you can get free shipping. Enter the code GRAMOTH1. That'd be both for under 30 bucks; not too bad, actually.

6. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    Thanks Jim,
    Just ordered mine. They said the reason they're using a cropped GvsM was because the cropped was in better condition. I'm glad I got the Simitar version too.

7. Tony J Case

Well, not QUITE free. With that code, shipping costs a touch under 50 cents. Still, it was cheap enough that I went and pulled the trigger on both.

8. AndrewWickliffe

So did I. I'm just hoping the transfers don't have issues like the Godzilla '54 release.

9. Tony J Case

How very odd - I got an email from these guys today assinging my shipment a USPS tracking number. There's nothing at the end of the link, so I can only assume it hasnt gone out yet - but it's a good sign that theyre shipping early.

Woo hoo

10. AndrewWickliffe

I got one too and thought the same thing, then remembered one can print postage (and confirm numbers) in advance.

11. Dannie

Dannie Stunt Coordinator

i ordered all 3 dvds and used the $6 code. which ended up giving me alil more than the free shipping code. ia lso got the email that my order had a label. but with how the usps is. that order can ship and getto ur house and that same page about it just getting a label will still be there

12. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I'm a bit apprehensive based on my disappointment over the Gojira set, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered 'em anyway. It's also a bit more than I was going to spend on my cancelled order at DVDPlanet which was about $11 each.

I'm a bit put off by the flubbed OAR of the dubbed G vs. Mothra disc, but the selling point for me is the original OSL Japanese version. It's too bad that Media Blasters doesn't control the DVD rights as they've done a good job with their Toho releases so far.

If the reason behind this is low pre-orders then I wonder how this bodes for future Toho releases (namely the two I want the most - Ghidrah & G vs. Monster Zero) ?

13. Jim Peavy

Yeah, I've got the Simitar release, also. Supposedly the vs. Mothra disc is the only one that's gonna' have a cropping issue. Let's hope so...

14. Tony J Case

So what was the problem with the Godzilla print anyway? The movie looked a little bit old, but otherwise was fine for me.

15. AndrewWickliffe

There was some framing issue.

Both my discs showed up today. The "Raids Again" print is okay, but skinny yellow subs. Haven't seen much of "Mothra," might watch it tonight though--white skinny subs on it.

16. Tony J Case

Couldnt have been too horrific - I didnt notice any problems. But then really I got that disc for the Japanese version. I doubt I'll spin the american release again - and I ever have too, I've always got the Scimitar version hanging around somewhere.

17. JayHM

JayHM Stunt Coordinator

The main problem I have with it is that it's an interlaced transfer, not progressive. DVDBeaver has some info on this.

18. Jim Peavy

Turns out my Godzilla Raids Again is defective. A serious combing/interlacing issue crops up right after the one character has spotted G, and then sees the other fella flying towards him:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And believe me, this is exactly what it looks like on my set. The effect is not exaggerated in the framegrabs or anything. There is a very definite point at which the image goes caflooey.

Bummer!! Oh well, back it goes. Anybody else who's got this let me know if your's is the same. I would think they'd all be. Could this be a flagging issue of some kind?

19. JayHM

JayHM Stunt Coordinator

Jim, are you playing this on a progressive scan set? The first Gojira DVD also had interlacing issues on progressive sets, and yes, I believe this is a flagging issue. I was hoping this would be fixed with the new titles.

20. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

EDIT - Nevermind