What's new

'All of Me' widescreen? (1 Viewer)

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
One of my favorite movies is Steve Martin's 'All of Me' which is only available in Pan and Scan in the US. Now that I have an all-region player, does anyone know if it's available anywhere in widescreen?

Thanks

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
If there's one hidden somewhere I'd like to know too. So far every single release of this I've come across (including German and UK) has been full frame. (Probably open matte, but still not OAR).

Waylander

Agent
Real Name
Rick
I was just watching this over the holidays with my brother and we both loved it. Great comedy that needs a proper re release. Some of the reviews I read also mentioned that it's open matte, but I'm not sure. The composition feels a little cramped. In truth, it's not a very cinematic film, most if looks like it was shot and framed for television. If it lost the top and bottom as well, there wouldn't be much left.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
How is the picture quality on the region 2 versions? The US release is unwatchable.....looks like a bad dub from VHS

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
This is also one of my favorite films and it just kills me that it got such an early and miserable DVD release and that it has never been revisited. If ever a film needed a commentary track or three it is this one, not to mention a decent widescreen transfer. The existing transfer is open matte, not pan & scan, but that doesn't make it any less awful. In fact I often use All of Me as an example of how messing with the original composition of a shot can ruin it. There is one scene (you'll know it when you see it) where one of Steve Martin's lines is a joke in the widescreen version, becaue the framing forces your eyes to focus on a woman's breasts as he delivers it, but in the open matte version it isn't a joke at all. You're seeing all the characters from waist to several inches above their heads, and there's no particular reason to focus where Carl Reiner wanted you to look.

I really hope someone decides to revisit this film while Carl Reiner is still with us to share his memories of making it.

Regards,

Joe

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
2009 is the 25th Anniversary of this one so it would seem a prime opportunity for whomever holds the rights these days to cash in with a nice special edition.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
2009 is the 25th Anniversary of this one so it would seem a prime opportunity for whomever holds the rights these days to cash in with a nice special edition.
Cut to 15 years later, with the 40th anniversary of All of Me upon us, it would seem to be yet another prime opportunity to put out an upgraded release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks