What's new

Alfred Hitchcock films available on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
No, I don't, but I'm interested in getting it as I'm looking for one to buy! :)

I just ordered it from Amazon.co.uk - Jamaica Inn, Young and Innocent and Sabotage. Including shipping, all three discs combined were still cheaper than buying just Jamaica Inn new from the U.S. Amazon on its own.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I just ordered it from Amazon.co.uk - Jamaica Inn, Young and Innocent and Sabotage. Including shipping, all three discs combined were still cheaper than buying just Jamaica Inn new from the U.S. Amazon on its own.

That's so funny because I myself just ordered Jamaica Inn and Young & Innocent as well, lol. I'm sure Amazon UK is wondering what the hell is going on! I left off Sabotage (not a favorite) and upgraded my shipping.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I have the UK YOUNG AND INNOCENT Blu which is actually Network/ITV. While the contrast is pretty good, there is some damage in terms of three vertical scratches that run through the left, center and right of the frame for the first 15 minutes. Mostly the scratches are semi-transparent, but occasionally the two on the right and center becomes white and while the one on the left is black. It looks like work was done to minimize the damage as much as possible without affecting the contrast or grain. After the first 15 minutes, the film is much clearer, but there are still occasional very light vertical scratches that appear intermittently on the far left edge. Initially I found the scratches in the beginning very distracting, but I just looked at it again, and it's much better than I remember.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That's so funny because I myself just ordered Jamaica Inn and Young & Innocent as well, lol. I'm sure Amazon UK is wondering what the hell is going on! I left off Sabotage (not a favorite) and upgraded my shipping.

I’ve actually never seen Sabotage and thought, no time like the present!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I blame you! :D

I’m watching The Wrong Man now - I saw it years and years ago and have very little memory of it. I bought the Blu-ray as soon as it was released but am only getting to it just now.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Reprimand received. :)

I’m still 7 films away from The Wrong Man. I have the same blu ray, it will be my first time watching the movie.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Oh man, it looks so much better than the VHS copy I saw back in the day. You’re in for a treat. It’s visually sparse but Hitchcock really uses that to his advantage and this disc looks pristine.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I’ve actually never seen Sabotage and thought, no time like the present!
Now SABOTAGE is a masterpiece. And the Network Blu-Ray is really excellent. Don't you dare read anything about it before you see it. Funny, I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about SABOTAGE. He interviewed Silvia Sidney and she said that of all the directors she worked with, she particularly loved working with Hitchcock on SABOTAGE.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Now SABOTAGE is a masterpiece. And the Network Blu-Ray is really excellent. Don't you dare read anything about it before you see it. Funny, I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about SABOTAGE. He interviewed Silvia Sidney and she said that of all the directors she worked with, she particularly loved working with Hitchcock on SABOTAGE.

Mark, is the Network region free or locked? I’ve learned to not trust Amazon’s info on UK discs.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Mark, is the Network region free or locked? I’ve learned to not trust Amazon’s info on UK discs.
Region B locked. I just checked. In my experience, the only Region B UK Blus that are listed as B but often play A as well are Arrows. I figured you were Region Free by now. It opens you to an extraordinary array of cinematic treasures that are otherwise unavailable.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Region B locked. I just checked. In my experience, the only Region B UK Blus that are listed as B but often play A as well are Arrows. I figured you were Region Free by now. It opens you to an extraordinary array of cinematic treasures that are otherwise unavailable.

Thanks! Alas, I’m not region free yet, but probably my next upgrade.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I was going to order Young and Innocent to replace the homemade DVD-R I burned from a TCM showing, but when I read it still had some visual anomalies, I opted to wait hoping someone like Criterion would clean it up and release it on Blu-ray here. I'm still waiting and still making do with my DVD-R.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought the MGM Fox DVD from the Premiere collection of Young and Innocent looked great! I was particularly impressed with the miniature work and the image clarity. I had not known that Criterion released it on laser disc. So it would be very cool if they do a blu ray release. Fingers crossed.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I thought that Fox "Premiere" Hitchcock set was an exceptionally nice one in the DVD era, with but one little problem: the discs were authored or encoded or pressed in such a way that they wouldn't play well, or wouldn't even load, on many players.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sabotage and Young and Innocent are the only films in that set that are not superseded by better Blu Ray releases here in the North America region.

Sabotage luckily works in my set. I placed it in its own case. However I was not so lucky with Young and Innocent. I was lucky to find that they sold it as an individual disc and I got a copy from Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks