What's new

Pre-Order Stage Fright (Warner Archive Collection) (1950) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
61yIvZvanLL._SX522_.jpg

Preorder Available Shortly

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

COMING IN JANUARY 2022!
Newly remastered for Blu-ray from a 4K Scan of the original nitrate camera negative!

STAGE FRIGHT (1950)

BD-50
110 Minutes
B&W
DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono
16x9 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio (with Side Mattes)
Special Features: Featurette: "Hitchcock and Stage Fright"; Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

In Alfred Hitchcock’s world, theaters are where danger stalks the wings, characters are not what they seem, and that “final curtain” can drop any second. The droll Stage Fright springs from that entertaining tradition. Jane Wyman plays drama student Eve Gill, who tries to clear a friend (Richard Todd) being framed for murder by becoming the maid of flamboyant stage star Charlotte Inwood (Marlene Dietrich). Filming in his native England, Hitchcock merrily juggles elements of humor and whodunit and puts a game ensemble (Alistair Sim, Sybil Thorndike, Joyce Grenfell, Kay Walsh and daughter Patricia Hitchcock) through its paces. No one turns a theatre into a bastion of dread like Hitchcock, and Stage Fright is proof positive. (Pictured below, Hitchcock in a rare behind-the-scenes photo with stars Marlene Dietrich and Jane Wyman)

263022936_10160061041116563_5552256173512758371_n.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Would this complete Hitch's complete output of his U.S. productions on BD?

I’m not 100% sure but if not it would be darn close. I think that’s the last remaining one that Warner has rights to.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Spellbound is technically out of print. Not sure whatever happened to the alleged Criterion release…

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Would this complete Hitch's complete output of his U.S. productions on BD?
I’m not 100% sure but if not it would be darn close. I think that’s the last remaining one that Warner has rights to.
Mr & Mrs. Smith would be the last full length American film not released on Blu-ray.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Really happy about this announcement. Unlike many folks, I really like Stage Fright and find it one of his most effective films of this period (a decided LEAP in quality over his previous film Under Capricorn). Jane Wyman is the weak link; just an average performance from her surrounded by really interesting work from her co-stars, and Dietrich walks away with the picture.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
"Newly remastered for Blu-ray from a 4K Scan of the original nitrate camera negative!"

This is great news. I was wondering if the OCN existed for Stage Fright. It should look fantastic. According to a bio of Hitchcock I once read, Dietrich took charge of her own make-up and even lighting. On set people wondered if Hitchcock would put up with that, but he completely deferred to Dietrich as a master of what she was doing. One of the final shots of her taken from above in extreme close-up, with smoke swirling from her cigarette and her eyes doing something I can't even describe, is haunting.

I laugh every time when Charlotte Inwood says: "Oh, darling, don't confide in me. Pour some tea will you."

and

"Stop acting like a silly school girl! The only murderer here is the Orchestra Leader."

stage fright.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks