What's new

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season Six (2019) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Agents of SHIELD doesn't return until this summer, but ABC has posted a trailer for the new season.

Obviously, we see that Clark Gregg is still around, despite the trailer telling us his character died after season 5. I wonder how they'll pull this off, but I hope it is not a new character who has to be re-educated, etc.

Looking forward to this and the already-announced Season 7.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Season 6 is set to premiere in May, and today it was announced (by Clark Gregg on Twitter) that Season 7 will be the last for SHIELD. That's a very respectable run.

https://mcucosmic.com/2019/03/05/agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-will-end-with-season-7/

agents_of_shield_ver24.jpg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Well, that was hugely disappointing. I was hoping that they would have found a way to make the show work with the reality they are supposed to be in, but this show has officially diverged out of the MCU.

The episode itself was good and the direction of the story is potentially interesting. But I couldn’t get into it because of how jarring it was that there is no way this is a Universe where half of all life was wiped out a year ago. There wasn’t a single thing on Earth portraying that this happened.

They’re talking about it being a big deal that Coulson died a year ago? I actually yelled at the screen, “Coulson? Half the F**king world died a year ago!”

But it looks like they didn’t. Because this show isn’t part of that. I hope I can get past it to enjoy this show for what it is. But since it started out as directly connected to the MCU, and especially because they couldn’t help hammering Thanos, Thanos, Thanos in last season’s finale, it’s jarring.

I suppose there is a chance they could reveal that this is an alternate reality/ timeline where Thanos was stopped in Wakanda.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
http://collider.com/agents-of-shield-season-6-mcu-timeline-explained/

Yeah, Nuts to them. This is no longer MCU.

WHEDON: So, imagine if we had incorporated it, and then, at the last minute, the network was like, “You know what? We’d love to have this on in January.” And then, all of a sudden, we’d spoil something. So, we made the decision to just be pre-snap, tell our story, and carry it forward. Hopefully, it will be satisfying and, in no way, a thing that bothers you about the show. We have our logic, but we don’t spend any time explaining it because we just wanted people to enjoy our story.

JEFF BELL: It was a challenge, and we talked a lot about it. If we came in and said it was five or six years later, there were just too many questions. There were too many words that we were not allowed to say, if that makes sense. So, that’s the decision that was made because we didn’t know [when we’d air]. In Season 1, when we first started, we could not say the word Hydra. We were forbidden to say Hydra because Hydra was hiding in S.H.I.E.L.D. We had bad guys happening, and we had what looked like a bunch of different things going on, but we were not allowed to say was the word Hydra, until after Captain America came out. After that, we could go, “Oh, Grant Ward is evil. He’s part of Hydra.” But we could not do any of that, until after the movie. And so, there are times when we have this added challenge of, “Okay, this is happening and we know this is happening, but we can’t say that this is happening.” So, the easiest way to not have to incorporate or dodge questions about that was for us to just make the decision that this season happens pre-snap.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
They screwed themselves with their lame decision to incorporate Thanos into the season finale last year. If they didn’t, they could have gotten away with their “pre-snap” setting.

But since the events of Infinity War were supposedly happening concurrently with last season’s finale, then this season of Agents of SHIELD takes place a year after the SNAP. Pre-snap? Nope. Sorry, you’re treating your audience like they are stupid and just won’t notice or care. Ouch. Not sure I can move past that. That’s really too bad. This show deserved better than that.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
What was the incorporation of Thanos last season?
Wasn’t it just some throw away line of that thing in New York or something similar?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
What was the incorporation of Thanos last season?
Wasn’t it just some throw away line of that thing in New York or something similar?

No.

There was a throw away line about the thing in New York, but there was later direct discussion of Thanos attacking Earth. Talbot kept going on about how HE could be the one to stop Thanos.

Sorry, this isn’t something they can just wave away. I guess, they are just hopping that viewers don’t remember. I’m not that kind of viewer, and it’s insulting that these show runners expect us to be.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
https://tvline.com/2019/05/10/agents-of-shield-recap-season-6-premiere-evil-coulson-lookalike-sarge/

One other question S.H.I.E.L.D.fans may have, especially after seeing the Season 6 premiere, is how if at all it jibes with the post-Snap world of the blockbuster movie Avengers: Endgame. (To recap: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.producers told TVLine last May that, as hinted in dialogue, the final episodes of Season 5 were set during Thanos’ original Infinity War attack. But given the TV show’s time jump of just one year, May & Co. should be living in a post-Snap world where half the population was turned to dust. Yet they aren’t. As Wen tried to explain to me, and the producers have clarified in other interviews, on the off chance that ABC decided to bring S.H.I.E.L.D. back earlier, they couldn’t risk showing a post-Snap world.)

“So, the Snap hasn’t happened yet,” Wen confirms, adding: “I think at this point it’s safe to say that we have departed from following the [Marvel] cinematic universe in that sense, and are just telling our own stories and our own situations. All this is happening pre-Snap.”

So they’ve diverged from the MCU. I’m fine with the idea of “Marvel” TV shows set apart from the MCU continuity if that is how they were conceived and executed from the start, but Agents of SHIELD has always tried to cram in every reference to the movies as they could. Now a major, MAJOR event in the movies has an unavoidable impact on the world (and the entire Universe) going forward and the show is just pretending they didn’t try to sync up with the events of a infinity War last year so they don’t have to deal with the fallout.

They only way I can get past this is by imagining that their time traveling adventure last season set them in an alternate reality of the MCU. But there is no way they are MCU proper anymore.

Last edited:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Yeah, there's literally no way they can claim to be in the same MCU anymore.

I suppose there is a chance they could reveal that this is an alternate reality/ timeline where Thanos was stopped in Wakanda.

Nope. Dr. Strange made it clear there was only one outcome where Thanos was defeated out of millions of possibilites.

They only way I can get past this is by imagining that their time traveling adventure last season set them in an alternate reality of the MCU. But there is no way they are MCU proper anymore.

Yeah that kind of flies in the face of the movies as well. The movies made it clear how time travel works and that the only way is the time stone or the quantum realm. They never mentioned that the Kree had time monoliths, or did the TV series follow the time travel rules of the movie.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yeah, there's literally no way they can claim to be in the same MCU anymore.

Nope. Dr. Strange made it clear there was only one outcome where Thanos was defeated out of millions of possibilites.

Yes, only one outcome in their reality. I’m taking about an alternate reality, like the one in which Thanos disappeared in 2014 never to be seen again. Or any of the other alternate realities they created by traveling to the past. Who knows how those (now completely different and separate) realities eventually played out? Thanos could never have been stopped in Wakanda in the Prime MCU Universe because that’s not what happened in that reality. But in an alternate reality anything could be different.

It’s a stretch, and I doubt that’s what they’ll go with, but it would be better than just pretending that the Snap didn’t happen while still pretending to be in the same universe.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Their saying that they didn't know when the season would start is a cop-out. It was announced that it would start in May and it did. We "knew" the whole point of that was so they could incorporate events from Endgame. There was an off-chance ABC would bring it back early? I sure didn't hear any such rumors. They "played it safe".

I think the season would have been a lot more interesting if it was during the 5 years, but then they would have had to deal with which characters were dusted and which weren't. Those random decisions probably would have made a lot of fans and some actors upset.

The writers of Endgame screwed SHIELD by jumping ahead 5 years. If it had only been one year, it could have easily been incorporated.

Upon further thought, SHIELD was in a no-win scenario. Ignore the snap and everyone is upset it is now outside the MCU. Incorporate the snap and there are a load of terrible choices. Jump five years and there is a Manifest of other questions to deal with.

We can either enjoy the show on its own or not.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the premiere, although it is frustrating how the first episode of any season has to set up "the mystery" which won't be resolved for the whole season. I miss the days when shows had stand alone episodes.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
"Fear And Loathing On The Planet Of Kitson"

What a totally fun, enjoyable episode.

I don't know what part I liked best. So much to enjoy

Fitz rubbing the arm around the door as Enoch waxed doom and gloom.

Daisy and Simmons entering the tunnel of lights

Daisy and Simmons under the table

The brothel

and so much more.

If all people care about is whether it 'fits in' with Infinity War/Endgame, they are watching the wrong show. This was terrific.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Oh jeez. Here's how much this series is sticking with me. After the premiere, I completely forgot it was even on, and it never even entered my mind until I saw this thread updated. :eek:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Terrific episode tonight. I know that the haters of the framework episodes will also hate this one because "it isn't reality", but it was a great psychological exploration of the minds of Fitz and Simmons.

P.S. I haven't seen Endgame yet so I have no idea how the series may or may not diverge from MCU, but I still love the show immensely.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I haven't seen last night's episode yet, but I am enjoying this season a lot. I'm not exactly sure how it couldn't take place during the five-year gap in Endgame. Either way, it doesn't matter. It's an enjoyable show.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I believe it's been officially confirmed before that the show has now diverged from the MCU films, and no longer takes place in the same continuity. Which makes it weird because they directly referenced Thanos last season.

Just got caught up on the last two episodes last night. Very nice to see that they have now tied together all the different sub-plots into one overall connected story. Looks like we will be meeting whomever created the monoliths. Up until now, I've always thought it was the Kree who made them, but it appears not now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks