What's new

Advice with paradigm atoms, titans, and focus (1 Viewer)

Evan_Haas

Grip
This is my first speaker setup. I have a nice amp, the Sony DR-777ES, and I'm going to start with 2 speakers, that will eventually move to rears. I've narrowed it down to the paradigm atoms, titans, and focus. Which are the best and why?

Michael_V

Second Unit
Evan,

I will guess you spent a nice amount on that ES receiver and so would encourage you to spend a little more on your speakers and move up to the Monitor line. I can tell you the difference in sound quality between Atoms and Mini-monitors is substantial.

Good luck!

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Evan,

How about providing some info such as room size, any placement issues, if you're big into music or primarily HT, if you'll be adding a sub at some point, etc. It'll help us offer ideas. . .

Evan_Haas

Grip
Well about the reciever, I got it for free. A cousin had it, house was struck by lightning, surge protector company replaced it for him, and he gave me the old one. I took it to a repair shop and they fixed it for $200. Nice deal. I'm in a dorm room. I'll be using it mostly for music, all kind of music. Since i'm in college, I can't afford to spend very much, wanted to keep it under 250. In a year or maybe more when I have more money or in 3 years when I'm done with college i do plan on adding a sub and/or getting better mains and moving these to the rear.

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
I can tell you the difference in sound quality between Atoms and Mini-monitors is substantial.
I can tell you the difference in sound quality between Atoms and Mini-monitors is very mild. I can also tell you the difference in sound quality between Titans and Mini-monitors is non-existant. I've never heard the Focus speakers.

This is why you should audition for yourself. Your ears might hear the substantial difference or they might be like mine and hear no reason to pay more for the Monitor line.

There's no right answer. Some people just have more discriminating tastes/ears, as well as there being a zillion other variables.

Good luck.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg

I have owned both speakers in the past at the same time (mini's up front and atoms in the rear) and have done side by side comparisons. I can tell you that Mini monitors have a much broader sound stage than the Atoms do. Sound quality wise the Mini Monitors sound significantly better than the Atoms. Then again thats just what my ears told me.

I personally wouldn't want either speaker without a sub. You are using the same reciever that I have and these speakers tend to sound a little on the bright side. Without a sub I think you would be a little dissapointed. Even my reference studio 60's are a tad bit bright with my 777ES and the bass extension on those reaches all the way down to 30 Hz. I would consider looking at some other speakers in your price range that have better bass extension.

Greg

Evan_Haas

Grip
Well first of all, the mini-monitors are out of my price range. My main question is is the money difference worth getting the Atoms over the Titans. And for greg, if you don't recomend these, what do you recomend instead for the same price range. I went and listened to speakers, and these had much more bottom end than anything else i heard, which were JBL, polk, and infinity. These were cheaper than the jbl's i was considering too but sounded much better.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I can tell you the difference in sound quality between Atoms and Mini-monitors is very mild. I can also tell you the difference in sound quality between Titans and Mini-monitors is non-existant.
Complete nonsense. I have also spent MUCH time with them, as I own Atoms, Titans and Minis. I have done back to back comparisons with music and movies, and the difference is quite obvious between the Titans and Minis, and is large compared to the Atoms.
Atoms cost less than the Titans, but if you don't have a sub, I would highly recommend the Titans over the Atoms. They have decent bass for their size, but the Titans do much better for not a lot more. I have yet to hear the Foucs either. The advantage the Focus has over the Titan is the 1" tweeter vs the 3/4", and a slightly larger enclosure for a bit lower extension.
For $275 new, you can get a pair of Axiom M3Tis, which sound better than the Atom or Titan, and does quite well against the Mini as well, though they lack the bass extension and are best with a sub.

Andy Young

Stunt Coordinator
Where I live, a pair of Titans cost $25 more than a pair of Atoms ($195 vs $170 -- 15% off list). Without hesitation, I'd opt for Titans. In fact, I would have got those for my surround speakers, except that they are too big (Atoms fit better).

If you live in Buffalo, NY, you must be fairly close to the Canadian border. There are a bunch of posts on this forum detailing how people get 20-30% savings by buying in Canada. You might look into this as an option.

Other popular options in that price range, I think, are Axiom, PSB, and B&W 300 series. JBL has a very cost effective solution, too, though I forget the part number right now. I don't know how they compare with bass extension. It will be pretty difficult to find good bass extension in a value-priced bookshelf speaker.

Also, I don't know what your plans, needs, or wants are, but if you bought Titans, there's no reason to necessarily move them to the rear in the future. Many people are very satisfied with Titans + Sub combo. See the numerous threads about Sony and DLS for some very cost effective sub solutions (if that interests you).

In fact, if you ended up going with dramatically better speakers in the future (e.g., Paradigm Studio series), you'd probably want to get matching surround speakers anyway (rather than move your Atom/Titan/whatever to the rear).

Good luck.

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
Evan,
I live in Tonawanda, NY. I would highly recommend traveling north of the border to buy your Paradigms.
I purchased 2 pair of Atoms, a CC170 center, and a PDR-10 Sub from Fairview Hi-Fi in Burlington, Ontario for about $600US about a year ago. Here is the website: www.fairviewhifi.com
If you know where Ikea is, Fairview is right down the street from it.
As far as a recommendation for which ones to buy...let your ears decide. For budget and space reasons, I didn't even look a the monitor line of speakers. Also, it was only going to be for use in the family room....I'm planning a higher-end room in the basement for later this year. Anyway--I listened to the Micro, Atom, & Titan along with some other models from PSB. When paired with a sub, I actually liked the Atom better than the Titan. However, if you are not going to get a sub, I would seriously look at the Titan or Mini-Monitor. You should be able to buy the Atom for around $200CDN & the Titan for $250CDN. I can't remember the exact price of the Mini-Monitor, but you should be able to get it within the $250US you are willing to spend. Also, you will be charged 15% GST & PST tax at the store. Stop at the duty free shop on your way back with your receipt and you will get the GST back on the sport. You will then get a PST rebate form to fill out and mail. You will get that back in 8-10 weeks. There is no duty tax on these because they are made in Canada and are covered under NAFTA.
Hope this helps...

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Evan,

I would consider looking at the paradigm performance series tower speakers if you are sold on the paradigms(cost is just a little more). I can't comment on their sound quality as I have never auditioned them but they do appear to be geared more towards those looking for speakers without using a sub. As for other brands i'll let others comment on that as its been awhile since i've done any side by side comparisons with the performance series paradigms.

Greg

Evan_Haas

Grip
John,

I was wonding if you had more dealils on buying equipment in canada. I called the duty free shop today to ask them, and they told me about getting the 7% tax back, but said that I needed to spend around $2000 there to qualify for the other refund, the other 8%. Is this right? Also, how long of a drive from the Niagara Falls border is Fariview Hifi? Thanks.

Evan

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
It should only take you 30 minutes once you cross at the Lewiston bridge. Take the QEW to the Brant St. exit and make a right. It's on the left about 1 mile down.

I wasn't aware of the $2000 minimum. I spent around $900CDN and received 7% right away and the 8% refund in the mail.

Evan_Haas

Grip
John, I've talked to a place called Gibby's Audio Video. It's in St.Catherines, just a few min over the border. Is there any reason I should go all the extra distance to Fairview Hifi?

Evan_Haas

Grip
and one other question: the sony unit was still in the shop when i had to leave for college. my parents are picking it up for me on sat. should i wait for them to get it home and test it and make sure it work before I go buy speakers? Or is the shop telling me that it works perfectly good enough and I should trust them?

Evan_Haas

Grip
something else I noticed is that places that sell paradigm are only authorized to sell them in their local area. If I'm going 30 min across the border to get them, will they not sell them to me?

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
Evan,

I went to Fairview because we were going to Ikea too. Both are on the same street. I called Gibby's, East Hamilton Radio, and Fariview and was asking some questions regarding stock and prices. I found Fairview to be the friendliest, most helpful, and most importantly....the best price.

Iver

Second Unit
I just bought a pair of the Focus speakers and am enjoying them right now. Further description here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=117369
The Focus list for $300 ($US). If you search the threads here you'll probably find dealers mentioned in Canada who are willing to discount. Some Paradigm retailers just won't discount and others are willing to cut 10 or 15% off the price if you ask.
You might also consider the floorstanding Esprit. Same drivers as the Focus but, obviously, much larger, heavier case. The Esprit's list for $100 more than the Focus, about the same cost as a decent set of speaker stands (which you'd need to get the tweeters to proper sitting ear level -- about the same place the tweets are with the Esprits just sitting on the floor).
Still, you won't go wrong with the Focus. Just a bit more bass extension and frequency response with the Esprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks