What's new

Advice on setting up the living room / HT. (1 Viewer)

Lisn2me

Auditioning
Real Name
Curtis
I am new to the forum and wanted to get some advice on setting up my living room/ HT. Last year I built my HTPC, which if you haven’t built one yet you need to get on board, but that is a separate story. This year I want to replace my free standing front L/R and Rear L/R speakers with in wall/in ceiling speakers. The main reasons I want to do this is, first I have young children that love to explore the speakers and speaker stands, and second now that I have removed both my media cabinets that were used for CDs and DVD’s I want to get some more space back with the speakers off the floor. The room itself is not a dedicated HT (as much as I would like it to be) So I am sacrificing a little bit of function for form here. I do still love to watch a good action moving and love having the big sound of a dedicated HT but that is limited. I am thinking about doing in wall speakers in the front, Keeping the Center under the TV for now, and putting the rear either in wall or in ceiling. The room is 15x15 and open to the kitchen and rest of the house, the main seating against the back wall. And the ceiling is 12’ high. The only reason I am thinking about putting the rears in the ceiling is because the seating is right against the wall. I was thinking if I could get something that is bidirectional It would help fill the room but I am not really sure that is a good idea. Thoughts and suggestions?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You understand you are sacrificing quality by going with in-wall speakers so that is covered. I'd go with in-ceiling if I were you. I have done that in my old house as well as a family member's house. Both worked great. What about your sub? Are you going with in-wall or infinite baffle design?

Lisn2me

Auditioning
Real Name
Curtis
Defiantly sacrificing my wants for the needs here. I have in internal debate on the sub, Keeping an enclosed on the floor or IN wall/ceiling, Not really a fan of IB sub's but that was only with a auto experience, no IB experience in the home with more space none musical I can see it working.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been keeping up with IB's subs for the last 6 years and in the hundreds of installs I've read about only one has been dissatisfied. Most say it is the best bass they have ever heard. I have the parts to install a quad 18" IB sub in my attic but I keep going back and forth about cutting the hole in the ceiling. What's your budget? What speakers/sub(s) are you looking at?

Lisn2me

Auditioning
Real Name
Curtis
I will have to do some more research on IB subs set ups, but for now budget would prohibit taking on that project and keeping my JVC sub. I really don't have a set budget but I do need to be under $1000 for the surrounds and I will do all the install. I really havent even start my speaker research, I wanted to knock out the layout then pick the speakers that work with what I have to work with. Do you think Surface mouting the speakers is a better option. not a fan of surface mounted speakers but if the sound quality outways the hookie look I could talk myself into that.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The best source for IB subs in a home theater is Cult of the Infinitely Baffled. Thomas runs a great little forum that concentrates on only this subject. $1,000 for surround speakers? Really? I was thinking of telling you to look at Monoprice or PE for in-ceiling surrounds. In both of my installs, the in-ceiling speakers were under $100 pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks