What's new

Advice needed on new HTPC setup (1 Viewer)

Rob Andersen

Auditioning
I'm currently trying to convert an old PC into a HTPC. The PC is an AMD T'bird 1000 mhz with a SB Live 5.1 Sound card, Asus Geforce2 MX 32mb video card with video out, 60GB driv and, DVD/CDRW Drive. I would like to use this PC to run SageTV, play DVD's and also to decode OTA HDTV Signals. I'm wondering what the best method to acheive this is?

My main concern is with how I output HDTV resolutions to the TV without running into all the overscan and sync troubles I keep reading about. My TV only has component inputs for HD signals so I will need to utilize that connection type.

Would my best bet be to use my current video card with a transcoder or would an ATI card with their "dongle" be a better choice? I want to make sure I can output 480i, 480p, 540p, 720p and 1080i signals to my TV with the same quality I'd receive if I were to use a set top box to decode OTA HDTV.

Any advice would be appreciate.....

Thanks,
Rob A.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks