What's new

Advice needed by HT newbie for a challenging room (1 Viewer)

Richard Solomon

Auditioning
First, thanks to all responsible for this fantastic resource.
My "media room" is difficult: 12x15, but with full windows along one of the 12' wall and a full-size closet opposite; one 15' wall is fully available, for opposite are windows and french doors. Cabling thru walls and ceiling is not possible. So, I think a surround sound speaker system won't work.
My first choice in HDTVs is the 42" commercial Panasonic plasma. I nned an a/v receiver and speakers, and I've got up to $1000 to spend on both. Instead of the 5.1 (or 6 or 7) set up, I'm considering one of those speakers, like the Polk "SurroundBar" or the Boston Acoustics P400: one speaker, plus a sub, for the total package. Another alternative is wireless for the sats. But I have no idea what these sound like, and no local store carries them; hence, this post.
Any info and suggestions would be most appreciated. And a Happy New Year to all!
Richard

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Don't understand why
I'm having trouble picturing that room. Where are the primary seating positions? Why isn't surface mount wiring an option to get the surrounds in there?

If all else fails there are a few wireless speakers available. Wouldn't normally recommend them but in your situation they may be an option.

Richard Solomon

Auditioning
Hi Dick, and thanks for the quick reply. It's hard to describe: first, I haven't yet decided how to arrange the room, tho probably best would be to put the TV, etc. against the large, blank wall. But that would mean running the wires to both sats along the threshold to the french doors on the opposite side, and there isn't much room there to accommodate the 2 speaker cables. I could run the wire to the right rear that way. Running the cable to the left rear in the opposite direction could work but it would mean a much longer cable run (thru a closet, up to the ceiling, across the doorway and then down to the floor, etc.). Is the sound affected if the run to one rear speaker is much longer than the run to the other rear? If not, that could work, and thanks for making me think about this a bit harder.
Alternatively, I could put the TV in the corner and angle the setaing accordingly about 10' away. Would a 5.1 surround system work as well as if the components were "centered" squarely, as in all the photos? Or would this simply require experimenting with speaker location and balance to adjust for the different angles?
Thanks again, Richard

John S

Senior HTF Member
5.1 can usually be setup well in just about any room. 6.1 and 7.1 can be more difficult.

The speaker wires being even drastically different lengths is not a factor at all.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Yes, the sound from the shorter run may arive at your ears about .001 nanoseconds before the longer run. Turn you head about .005 micromillimeters to compensate. ;)

Seriously, anyone who says different length runs affect sound (as long as the wire guage is sufficient) is just trying to sell more speaker wire.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
You may may also want to look into the various cable concealment products out there. They range from simple stick-on holders for the wire to replacement baseboards with cable management built in, etc.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

In addition to these, if you are at all handy with power tools, a router and the proper bit is all that is needed to cut your own channels in your baseboards and mouldings. Just remove the woodwork, rout a channel in the back, run the wires in the channel and then remount the woodwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks