What's new

Adcom , Outlaw, or Rotel (1 Viewer)

WayneEA

Grip
The signafcant other has given me permission to upgrade.
She is allowing me 1200-1600 for this. I'm currently using Paradigm Monitor 5 and cc-370. 7.1 is not important right now but down the road it will be. Any suggestions?

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
i am also looking to up grade. i have read many reviews on outlaw 950, rotel 1066 but not the adcom. have you looked at the b&k reference 30. its not discontinued but and can be found at 6th ave ( which is an authorised dealer). the good thing about this is it can be upgraded. so i am in the same area you are in. by the way these are pre amps. frank

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
The Rotel 1055 receiver might be a good choice for you: 75 watts per channel (very conservative rating, done honestly) plus you can add an outboard two-channel amp down the road for 7.1. I'm a Rotel fan. I think the company makes quality products that are more expensive than the higher end receivers, but well worth it.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Both the Rotel and the Outlaw have very loyal followers and offer good product so you'll likely not be unhappy with either. Each offers something slightly different with respect to features, sound and support so choose the one that suits you best. If you have any questions about the Rotel feel free to email me and I'll do what I can to answer them for you...or at least point you to the right place to look;)

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
In that price range, the only two A/V receivers I highly suggest are:

NAD T762 (or maybe even the soon to release T773)
Rotel RSX-1065

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
the outlaw is very good, but including shipping, you will break your $1600...

I second the recommendation of the rotel 1055, i would look at the marantz as well...have heard so much good things about it...

i would also say you might want to look into buying a very good pair of fronts instead of a new receiver, probably will add more to your sound system than any front end...i think the paradigm studio 100's can be had roughly in your price range.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I think rich is on the right track, but Studio 100s w/ a Sony DB (between DE and ES) receiver probably wouldn't do justice to those speakers. A Rotel 1055 or Outlaw 950/7100 combo would also probably outclass the Monitor 5s a bit too. These aren't bad problems to have, but they do indicate less than optimal allocation of funds for the best dollar-to-performance ratio. Speakers will always make more of a difference than what is powering them, but a capable front-end is still necessary.

You may want to consider some monitor 7s or 11s and one of the good discontinued/refurb receiver deals that are out there. Monitor 7s or 11s and a HK 525 (or possibly 7200 if you push your budget a little or buy used) would make a bigger impact than just a 1055 or 950/7100 w/ your Monitor 5s. It would also allow you to move your 5s to the side and your current surrounds to the back for 7.1 if you want to. There are als some great deals to be had on new/current model receivers as well. Other receivers to consider if you go this route are the Pioneer Elite 43/45TX, Denon 3803, Sony 4ES and 3000ES, and Yamaha 1400/2400.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
You might be able to find a refurbished NAD 752 for between $500-$600 and still have $1000 for a pair of fronts...

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks