What's new

Acurus A250?? (1 Viewer)

Nick V

Second Unit
I've got the upgrade bug, and I'm considering buying a used Acurus A250. I'm currently running a Yamaha RXV-1200 with some Paradigm Monitor series speakers (Monitor 11's, CC-370, Monitor 5's).

My problem is that I don't particularly like the sound of my Yamaha receiver, and I was going to upgrade my receiver to a Marantz 7300, but they're experiencing some problems at this point in time.

My question is this, should I buy the Acurus A250 now, then just upgrade my receiver whenever Marantz fixes the problems they are experiencing, or should I do the receiver first, then the amp??

Also, I have never heard Acurus amps, and I probably won't be able to before I make this purchase. I've only heard good things about them, but I'm wondering what their sound characteristics are. Warm, Neutal, Bright, etc...

The Paradigms are just a touch on the bright side, and I would prefer a warm or neutral sounding amp to help tame that. I would LOVE to hear from someone that has used Acurus amps with Paradigm speakers, but I would still love to hear from all Acurus owners.

Anyways, thanks for you input, and I hope to hear from anyone that can chime in.

Nick

Dan Marchewka

Stunt Coordinator
I used to own an Acurus a250. It was a very nice amp. It had plenty of power and was pretty neutral. I replaced it with a Citation 7.1--which is just phenomenal. I still have an Acurus a200x5 run my center and surrounds though. Overall, I think Acurus makes very good amps, especially for the price.

Good luck,
Dan

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have had Acurus amps for years. I now have an A200, the son of the A250, plus an A200x5 for a 7.1 system.

I have thought about switching to B&K, Rotel, ATI, Parasound, Outlaw, etc., over the years. But ... Hard to explain. I like the sound of Acurus, I love the customer support, I like how they look, I like the build quality... I suppose I've had enough gear over the years, that when I've found something that works, I stick with it.

And, they are extremely conservatively rated. I have a review of the old 200x3. Know what the tested power output was? 350W into 8 ohms, and 550 W into 4 ohms. "200" x 3 indeed... :D

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I used to have an a150 a few years back. It is an excellent amplifier. I would describe it as very neutral, almost a sterile like sound. Its only weakness IMO was that it sounded a little "chalky" in the upper frequencies at times. Still for under $500 these amps are very hard to beat.

-rob

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
I have an Acurus A125x5 setup with all Paradigm Reference speakers and it sounds fantastic. The Acurus's sound is neutral to somewhat dry. Compare with my friend's old B&K amp (forgot the model number), the Acurus is much more detailed.

I have never been a big fan of Yamaha speakers but just comparing the amp section of the Yamaha to the Acurus, the
Acurus will give you more of everything. More extended highs, tigher lowers and more detail in the mid-range.

Assuming you will be able to get this amp at a good price, I would think this would be a very good upgrade to your current system.

Nick V

Second Unit
Is $450 ($720 Canadian) a pretty good price for this amp?

BTW, thanks for the help.

Dan Marchewka

Stunt Coordinator
I think I sold my Acurus a250 for $400 about a year ago. I have seen them go for around $500 though.

Good luck,
Dan

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
The real question is wether or not you need more than 150 watts. You can get an a150 for under $300. That is my reccomendation.

=rob

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Keep an eye on ebay and audiogon for prices. I got the A200 for $500, so $450 for the A250 seems just a tad high.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I've been running an A250 for the past few months with a Yam RX-V1 preout (mains) for source. As some have pointed out, the A250 is tighter, cleaner and more dynamic than the Yam but is over twice the wattage also.
I have my A250 for sale in the hardware section since I am moving soon and am downsizing a few things but if I ever go into true prepros, I wouldn't hesitate a minute to go back to the Acurus line. Good stuff.....

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
I'm interested in the Marantz 7300, but can't find much info. Could you elaborate on the problems with them (or point me in the right direction?) Thanks!

Nick V

Second Unit
Click Here for a link to the thread.

It's nothing too big compared to the x200 units, but it still concerns me. They should hopefully have it fixed in the next shipments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks