What's new

Actors/Directors with Univeristy/College Degrees (1 Viewer)

Darren Crouse

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anyone knew about actors or directors that have undergraduate/graduate degrees. Of course, this does not include honorary degrees but truly earned ones. Just curious though. Don't really know what prompted this question but thought I'd pose it anyhow.

Thanks,

D.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Darren I'm not quite certain what you are looking for but a list of actors and directors who have earned a college degree would be very long.

Now not all of them would be degrees from film schools or drama schools but a list limited to those grads alone would also be long. As I have already stated, once you include those who have degrees in other disciplines the list would become very long.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I'm guessing you're asking this question because you would like to go into this field. Do you need a degree to get into filmmaking, either behind or in front of the camera? No. Will it help you to do so? Yes.

College educations help you in more than just training you for a specific field. You will be exposed to a wide array of subjects and knowledge that can do nothing but help you in life. A college education will help you with whatever you decide to do. At the very least it proves that you were able to complete something.

For instance, I'm struggling to break in as a screenwirter. I have a film degree. But when I was signed up with my management company they never asked if I had a degree. They read my script, liked it, and are trying to sell it to the studios. So the degree didn't help me.

But, the many classes and subjects (outside of film in my general education requirements) I was exposed to help me in the writing of the screenplay. So it was useful in that way.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I know Jodie Foster has a degree from Yale, but I'm not sure in what.

I also heard that Dolph Lundgren has a masters degree in chemical engineering or something similar (!)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Robert, was the degree in French Literature? I think she went to a High School where you had to speak only French in every class.

Since we are now listing people, the cast of Galaxy Quest was like a Yale School of Drama class reunion.

Three actors Sigourney Weaver, Tony Shalhoub, and Enrico Colantoni all have earned Masters Degrees in Drama from Yale.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick,

I know she speaks French fluently due to her schooling before Yale but I don't believe her degree is French Literature. If I had to venture a guess I would think English Lit.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks