What's new

acoustic Research AR-1 (subs facing in or out?) (1 Viewer)

blender over

Auditioning
Real Name
trevor
So i picked up a pair of AR-1 towers off of craigslift for $300.00
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

They preform & look very good.
My question is were these speakers designed for the 15' sub to be facing towards eachother or away from eachother?
Should i really let these towers warm up for at least 5 minutes before turning them up?

My system consist of the following ( please be nice, im new at this theater thing)

Pioneer 74tx Reciver
AR-1 for the L & R
Monster ( forgot the model #) center channel
B&K rear in wall speakers ( forgot model # as well)
Playstation 3 for my Bluray's
Some type of self powered sub ( i leave turned town because the AR's over bass them anyways!!)
Monster surge portector HTS 3600 Reference series
Pioneer KURO 50' Plasma TV

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are these the speakers - Stereophile: Acoustic Research AR-1 loudspeaker

Most people face the 15's to the outside. But it really depends on the configuration of the room. Make sure they have room to breathe. Try it both ways and see which gives you the better bass response. Preferably measure the response with the proper testing tools like Room EQ Wizard. Your ears are not very reliable.

I see no reason to let your equipment warm up. In fact, the hotter the speaker voice coils get, the more thermal compression you have. Now, it you bring them inside from artic conditions make sure they get to room temp before cranking them up.

For movies you should listen in Dolby Digital or DTS. Pure direct is for PCM. At least that's what the owner's manual says - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...structions.pdf

-Robert

blender over

Auditioning
Real Name
trevor

Thanks Robert.
Do you have and expeareance or thoughts on these speakers?
Did i get a good deal on them for $300.00?

Thanks

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"I mentioned the AR-1's transparency, relatively low price (then intended to be $1999/pair)"

From the article - they were originally priced at a grand each - so getting them for $150 each seems to be a good deal - although they are from 1999, so they would be ten years old...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After 10 years they may have some foam rot but that can be repaired for about $10 per driver. I know nothing about the speakers but it looks like you got a steal based on the review.

-Robert

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
The midrange drivers are butyl rubber surrounds, the only foam on the AR1's is on the sub woofer drivers, and if they were cared for, the foam should be fine (my AR9's haven't had any issues, same drivers except I have the smaller 10" subs).

I think you stole them. I would never let my 9's go for $300 if that means anything!

I run my subs facing out, it just works better for my setup, experiment and see what responds better to your room and setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks