What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

According to a magazine survey, I live in America's rudest city. (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The good people at Travel and Leisure magazine poll their readers about several aspects of cities and regions worth visiting. But in the latest issue, according to many reports on the Web, I live in what most of its readers consider the rudest city in the United States: Los Angeles.

That's right. The City of Angels is anything but angelic in how it treats visitors (and, apparently, residents).

Of course, this information surprised me. I've always thought this town had its share of hustlers -- I mean, it's Hollywood fer cryin' out loud. But rude? As in rudest of all cities?

I know New York City has been earning much praise in recent years for how kind it has become. This seems to have happened ever since they cleaned up Times Square. Thing is, I preferred Times Square when it was a cesspool of adult movie theaters and Central Park was a place to avoid at night. Now? It's turned into Disney Land.

Los Angeles, on the other hand, I've always considered a little too laid back to be considered rude. We like to chill, see. We're grooving too much to spend time yelling at or insulting visitors. Yet that's what people are telling the editors at Travel and Leisure: We're rude.

Jeez.

Well, I'll tell you a little secret: I avoid Hollywood Boulevard on Saturday afternoons simply because I do not like being around a bunch of tourists. I cringe when tour bus riders wave at people on the street. What are we supposed to do? Jump and gyrate so that the people gawking at us on the bus can toss us peanuts? Are there other tricks we're supposed to perform for tourists?

Whatever. I felt like complaining about something today, and this is the complaint. So there.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I cringe when tour bus riders wave at people on the street. What are we supposed to do?[/COLOR]

Wave back maybe? I think I can see how you guys got your rep.

I'm from Philly; we'd just throw soft pretzels at you.

CRyan

Screenwriter
I can understand getting tired of the tourist industry. I live in Nashville and anyone wearing a cowboy hat is a tourist - And there are a lot of cowboy hats. But, when you live in a town such as L.A. built almost entirely on being a spectacle, you're going to get the idiots.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have been to LA several times and never found the people there rude. I have been in many other cities and towns that make LA look like the friendliest place on the planet. I think the writers for Travel and Leisure need to get out more.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Thank you, Parker, for your wise observation. And it seems that a Los Angeles Times columnist with whom I rarely agree has his own thoughts about what that magazine's survey says. I sort of agree with Mr. Rodriguez: http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-rodriguez-20110124,0,5860440.column

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jack,

There is at least some consolation:

If you would decide to leave the city for that reason, it would get even more rude, on an average!

Cees

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm wondering if people mean the "touristy" spots when they refer to "LA". Everyone who lives in Southern California knows there are different parts to LA, and they also know that LA proper is part of a large number of adjacent communities. Do they also mean Santa Monica? Pasadena? Long Beach? How about, say, Seal Beach (people there seem very laid back to me)?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You know, I have in the last few years tried to be as helpful as I can to people who are clearly tourists in the L.A. area. I think it's because of my 2006 trip to France.

The French have quite the reputation, but my experience there was nothing short of wonderful, and the people were very kind to me and my girlfriend while we were there for nearly two weeks. I flew from Paris to Avignon and rented a car to get to a small village where a friend was getting married. I couldn't for the life of me find the freeway and pulled over at a park to look over my directions. A woman saw me, and after figuring out which autoroute I needed, got in her car, told me to follow, and drove me out to the freeway before waving me along and pulling off the freeway herself. I thought "how many Americans (let alone Los Angelenos) would do that?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks