What's new

ac-3 decoder Onkyo (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Auditioning
I am trying to upgrade my Onkyo TX-SV828THX receiver to process Dolby Digital 5.1. My manual says that this unit has a DB-25 connector for a decoder. My local dealer says it can't be done and wants to sell me a new Integra for $1400!

Are these decoders obsolete? Isn't ac-3 the same thing as 5.1? TIA, Charlie

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
AC-3 is another name for Dolby Digital. It sounds like it has some proprietary input for 5.1 analog signals from an outboard decoder, as explained in this specs I just pulled up with google:

"For upgrading, there's an AC-3 ready DB-25 input for connection to the ED-901 AC-3 decoder. "

http://home.insightbb.com/~r.whalen/828.html

I'm guessing you need to find just such a matching decoder. I've not seen any other outboard processors with this connection method, so I dunno how likely it is you'll be able to find such a thing.

You may be better off in terms of features and such upgrading to a new receiver. You don't, of course, have to spend 1400 bucks on one, but 600-700 bucks will get you a fine receiver that will be much more feature full than your old PL one, but also give similar performance, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks