What's new

3D Blu-ray Review A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Something is very funky about that TV promotion. Bonus 3D player with 6 pair of active shutter glasses that are in total worth $119.94? Those glasses do not look like active shutter but passive and from their add it is unclear whether the Samsung 3D is active or passive. The add for the TV specifically says it comes with 4 active shutter glasses so some people might be disappointed to invite a bunch of friends over only to find 3D only works for 4 of them.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Chuck Anstey said:
Something is very funky about that TV promotion. Bonus 3D player with 6 pair of active shutter glasses that are in total worth $119.94? Those glasses do not look like active shutter but passive and from their add it is unclear whether the Samsung 3D is active or passive. The add for the TV specifically says it comes with 4 active shutter glasses so some people might be disappointed to invite a bunch of friends over only to find 3D only works for 4 of them.
I have the Samsung ES7100 and it came with 4 active shutter glasses in the TV box. The very same glasses can be bought on Amazon for less than $20, last time I looked. They are battery operated, light, comfortable, and work great. Amazon has offered the deal with the six extra glasses in the past and I'm sure they'll be the same as the ones that came with the TV.
If I had to buy the TV this week, I'd be calling Amazon to ask if they could do the blu-ray player with the extra glasses promotion. They might do it and I'd rather buy from them.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Chas in CT said:
I shall look forward to experiencing this pop-out experience on Reed's 120-inch screen!    :cool:
Sounds like a plan. We'll let Rich_D pick another, and we'll have a 3D party next time. :cool: :cool:

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Johnny Angell said:
I have the Samsung ES7100 and it came with 4 active shutter glasses in the TV box. The very same glasses can be bought on Amazon for less than $20, last time I looked. They are battery operated, light, comfortable, and work great. Amazon has offered the deal with the six extra glasses in the past and I'm sure they'll be the same as the ones that came with the TV.
If I had to buy the TV this week, I'd be calling Amazon to ask if they could do the blu-ray player with the extra glasses promotion. They might do it and I'd rather buy from them.
I stand corrected. Those glasses are incredibly lightweight and cheap for active shutter.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
They are the only glasses I've used so I can't compare them. I think they're fine, though.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thank you for your review of A TURTLE'S TALE Ron, otherwise this might have passed me by. I've now got it and the 3D really is wonderful. I've never seen such amazing 3D effects. Some people may consider such extreme 3D to be too gimmicky but I WANT MORE OF THE SAME :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
Thank you for your review of A TURTLE'S TALE Ron, otherwise this might have passed me by. I've now got it and the 3D really is wonderful. I've never seen such amazing 3D effects. Some people may consider such extreme 3D to be too gimmicky but I WANT MORE OF THE SAME

See? This is what 3D should be all about.

Most directors want nothing to do with it and manufacturers are
going to dumb it down once a glasses-free option is available.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
MattH. said:
I am at a loss to understand why Vivendi didn't release this in 3D in the US.
Well, at a guess, say it was because the director's own "Fly Me to the Moon", which DID sell its 3D as a gimmick was one of the triple threat that singlehandedly killed foreign-quickie CGI kiddie movies off at US theaters for good. (With a little help from "Battle for Terra" and "Delgo", of course.)
It's only in other countries, where they can't tell the difference from Pixar, that it gets taken seriously.
And yes, while the 3D is good (went the cheap route, and downloaded it from Vudu), the "Everyone ELSE knows how to use 3D, when will they show us the way?" argument was good about a year or two when it came out--
But now that Dreamworks has gotten full of its own marketing, and starts crafting its own CGI movies to sell the 3D by any means necessary, I was watching the most current DW disk the other week, and saying, basically, "What's Sammy got that Puss in Boots ain't got?" I'm assuming that especially includes involving characters and rich, witty storyline.
I can't speak for Fly/Moon's 3D (as we're never likely to see that one on B3D in our lifetime over here), but if the director is that passionate about 3D popout, you know which studio will already be tailor-made for him.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
To watch this highly-praised 3-D Blu-ray, I would need to purchase, not just a region-free player (not expensive), but a 3-D region-free player (not cheap). I could not justify an expenditure of over $200 for what at this point is a single Region-B 3-D film. Too bad... sounds like fun!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Dick said:
To watch this highly-praised 3-D Blu-ray, I would need to purchase, not just a region-free player (not expensive), but a 3-D region-free player (not cheap). I could not justify an expenditure of over $200 for what at this point is a single Region-B 3-D film. Too bad... sounds like fun!
OR..... (if you have PS3, or similarly smart-enabled 3D player with hard drive and Internet capability):
http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/286291/A-Turtles-Tale-Sammys-Adventure-3D
(Tightwad that I am, that's how I saw it, and I haven't lost out on the experience.
I've tried for a year now to point out that the peer-pressured Merely Curious can save $30-40, or even $200 bucks on a very, very rental-only title, and it's not so much like talking to a brick wall, it's like having deep discussions about Galileo with the Flat Earth society. To them, the Sacrifice of Loyalty, and Occupy-like United Search For a 3D Messiah is all, they can't quite grasp the concept that somebody in NA actually has it for rental at Blockbuster prices, and the attempt at money-saving conversation disappears into the ether within seconds. :confused:
Vudu also has a rental bargain on the NA-unreleased "Nutcracker 3D", but, erm...I've never heard of anyone going out of their way to import THAT disk.)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ejanss said:
And yes, while the 3D is good (went the cheap route, and downloaded it from Vudu), the "Everyone ELSE knows how to use 3D, when will they show us the way?" argument was good about a year or two when it came out--
But now that Dreamworks has gotten full of its own marketing, and starts crafting its own CGI movies to sell the 3D by any means necessary, I was watching the most current DW disk the other week, and saying, basically, "What's Sammy got that Puss in Boots ain't got?"
I've not seen "Puss in Boots" but from what I've read it doesn't have anywhere near the same pop-out effects and total depth that "A Turtle's Tale" has. Does a Vudu download provide the same type of 3D effect as a Blu-ray disc?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Dick said:
You don't have to spend over $200. ddhouse has a region free 3-D Blu-ray for $36.39 including shipping to the US.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thought Puss in Boots used much less pop-out than other Dreamworks titles like Megamind or Madagascar 3. I haven't watched Kung Fu Panda 2 yet. How To Train Your Dragon had a fair amount of it; Shrek 4 less so.

Danoldrati

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Oldrati
Spy kids "Game Over" and "Sharkboy and Lavagirl" had more popout than the films you listed.
For 14.99 the double feature blu ray can't be beat. Now I'm just talking about the 3D.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Douglas R said:
I've not seen "Puss in Boots" but from what I've read it doesn't have anywhere near the same pop-out effects and total depth that "A Turtle's Tale" has. Does a Vudu download provide the same type of 3D effect as a Blu-ray disc?
If you have a player with a hard drive, like a PS3, and can download the file beforehand--or a very good hi-speed streaming connection--you can choose the HDX option, which is as pretty darn close to 1080p Blu quality on all their titles as you can get.
Otherwise it's in HD, which is standard for most other sites like Instant Netflix. I wouldn't know about Amazon or CinemaNow's, as I've never used them.
And I'm not knocking the 3D on Sammy, it's amazing on a theme-park-3D level, just that the story is positively NOT worth any "Occupy Sony" martyr-dervish attempt to prove loyalty by tracking down an import or region-free player, if there's a competent streaming rental option available.
Even so, I wouldn't leave Puss or Megamind out of the competition, and I didn't even like those as films, either. (I did like Monster vs. Aliens and Dragon, but those were earlier efforts for DW, and held back a bit.)

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Yes, Ron, you are right!!! I picked this up for my birthday last weekend and it plays very well. It took me a while to get it going, per its Region B status, but once I got going...I was gone!!!!!! This is truly a great 3D Blu-ray Disc title!!!! I can use this as a display to those who wish to check out my 3D HT system!!!!! Thanks for helping to make my birthday a happy one, Ron!!!! :3dglasses: :3dglasses: :3dglasses:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Looking for some help on this Region B UK 3D title.I need a really good scan of the cover art -- something true to size. ?? 600dpi, low compression ??JpgI have the discs, but can't find a way to make the cover art.I also not sure it this is a one or two side cover art, but the back would certainly be a bonus.Any help will be appreciated -- I can PM an email address which may be the easiest way to transfer the file

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Finally got around to watching A TURTLE'S TALE: SAMMY'S ADVENTURES in 3-D on my 55" Panny plasma. Holy S**T! If you think the paddle ball in HOUSE OF WAX is cool (and it is) or that the fish in the IMAX UNDER THE SEA is an amazing pop-out effect (and it is), wait until you see this movie!! It's absolutely worth spending the money on an all-region 3-D player for (plus you can get Joe Dante's HOLES and a bunch of Disney 3-D titles not available here to play on it also). I am more than happy to bump this thread in order to bring the movie back into the light after a few years of relative non-activity...there must be three dozen times when you can reach your hand out and seemingly touch or hold the creatures that swim seemingly right up to your nose. Then there are the many shots in which the surface of the water (or other objects) seem to spill out from the bottom of the screen, right at eye level. The script is a bit sophomoric (it's for kids, after all), but a few rather pointed ecological messages are included... not many and there isn't much detail about them, but at least they are there. Oil spills, garbage in the ocean, overfishing, etc. But the first and foremost reason to own this (and I guarantee you'll be re-watching it many times) is the flawless, ghost-free (even on my Panny) 3-D. Beautiful saturated color, fine CG animation, Thanks, Ron! Great recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks