What's new

A SNEAK PEEK AT LOST HORIZON AND THE BLUE LAGOON (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It looked good on paper, I’m sure. I mean, produced by Ross Hunter, based on a classic novel and film, with a musical score by the hottest songwriting duo around, Bacharach and David. How could it fail? Let me count the ways. They’d already tried to musicalize Lost Horizon on Broadway in the 1950s – the show was called Shangri-La. With a book by none other than James Hilton himself (the novel’s author) and Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee, music by Harry Warren and lyrics by the three book writers, direction by Albert Marre and choreography by Donald Saddler, and a cast that included Martyn Green, Jack Cassidy, Alice Ghostly and Dennis King, the musical didn’t exactly take Broadway by storm. In fact it ran exactly twenty-one performances. In the early 1970s the time seemed right for Lost Horizon, what with the Viet Nam war and disillusionment running rife. But the big, lumbering mess that was delivered to audiences in 1973 received critical brickbats, did lousy business at the box-office (there is one person – ONE person – on the Internet who goes from board to board trying to convince everyone that Lost Horizon was somehow a moneymaker for Columbia – he is wrong, but his obsession with this film knows no limit), and managed the incredible feat of breaking up Bacharach and David. What went wrong? Well, you’d have to start with the decision to let Charles Jarrott direct – whatever strength he had as a director (and I personally don’t think he had much), he had never directed a musical before and simply had no idea how to shoot one. That’s kind of fatal, right there. He clearly didn’t know enough about musicals to stop Mr. Hunter from foisting upon him Mr. Hermes Pan to choreograph. Mr. Pan was a long-time collaborator of Mr. Fred Astaire, the their work together was amazing. But it becomes equally clear when you watch any film that Mr. Pan worked on without Mr. Astaire, that Mr. Astaire was the maker of the magic, or somehow he sparked in Pan something Pan could not spark in himself.
Pan had already provided some pretty bad choreography for Ross Hunter’s film version of Flower Drum Song. But by the time of Lost Horizon he was the worst possible choice. And then there’s the cast – filled with good actors, few of whom had ever done a musical, few of who actually sang (most were dubbed), and none of whom were exactly stars. Peter Finch is earnest and fine in the lead, and Liv Ullmann is very pretty as the female lead – both are dubbed, of course. Sally Kellerman sings but doesn’t have much to play in the Larry Kramer screenplay (which isn’t THAT bad), Bobby Van is just irritating the entire time (not his fault – just a horribly written role), George Kennedy seems embarrassed to be there, and on it goes. John Gielgud escapes with dignity, and Charles Boyer is okay as the High Lama. But Jarrott’s direction of the musical numbers is so leaden and so downright awful, that the film never has a chance. Neither he nor his editor apparently know what a musical beat is and there’s not one shot that actually seems like a number was designed for the camera. Mr. Robert Wise and his choreographers on The Sound of Music designed those numbers for FILM and that’s why they’re exhilarating and beautiful to watch. Here we just get long, boring takes of people doing whatever choreography Mr. Pan can muster. And Mr. Hunter’s garish taste doesn’t help matters any.
So, question me an answer: Why, after all this time, does this film have its defenders and why, even for people like me who understand that it’s just bad, does the film continue to fascinate and even be enjoyable on a certain level. Well, the story is timeless. That part’s good. The camerawork is lovely – Robert Surtees. But considering the fact that this is the film that broke the back of Bacharach and David, that’s what the fascination is, I think. Because half the songs are really good. People forget that the title song charted, as did Living Together, Growing Together. But several ballads are touching, and I’m sorry, but I do love the music for The World Is a Circle and with a great director and choreographer, and some actual choreography, that number could have been great. There are some indefensible duds in the score – no way around that. It does feature perhaps the worst Bacharach and David song ever written – Question Me an Answer. I have tried for forty years to understand what the lyrics mean and I have failed completely. But, here’s the bottom line: Every time I watch the damn movie I can’t stop – I watch it straight through, warts and all, every time.
All that by way of saying I got a sneak peek at the new Twilight Time Blu and Ray of Lost Horizon last night. And I watched the whole damn thing. And somehow, and I know it’s wrong, I kind of got some enjoyment out of it. If you have the DVD of this transfer you’ll know what to expect. The Blu-ray looks very good and the color is very accurate. It’s not the sharpest or most beautiful transfer you’ll see, but it’s very nice and probably better than the film deserves. The stereo sound is great and ALL of the DVD extras are ported over, including the demos, plus you get an isolated score, which is a huge bonus for this film because the absolute thing that succeeds in every way is Mr. Bacharach’s background score (orchestrated by the great Shuken and Hayes) – it’s brilliant, sounds great, and is reason enough to buy the disc, which I highly recommend to anyone who is interested to see how a failure of a film can remain interesting and fascinating forty years hence. I also took a gander at the other Twilight Time release, The Blue Lagoon and it is spectacular. The movie is what it is, but this transfer is so beautiful and lush and the Basil Poledouris score sounds incredible. It’s so sharp, in fact, that you will see a lot more of Mr. Atkins and Miss Shields (body double for her) than you ever saw in the theater. Gorgeous-looking.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I look forward to another 17-page thread debating the merits of this film.

Actually, I find it a coincidence that both the 1937 and 1973 versions of Lost Horizon were subjected to such crippling edits.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Thanks, Bruce, for letting us know that dvd extras have been ported over. That was almost going to be a deal-breaker for me; I never got around to ordering the dvd version. I guess I'll be first in line to pre-order it the day it's made available. Can't be far off. And oh yeah, it's a bad movie but I never thought it was the absolute train wreck people seem to think it is. For me it was interesting because the first time I saw it it was on television, and I assumed due to the cheesiness of it all that it had been a made-for-tv movie. And had it been made for television, I think people would now remember it as some 1970s tv classic. The movie is a lot better if you lower the bar from all-star wide-release spectacular to sweet little made-for-tv holiday film or whatever. Trust me!
I can think of worse musicals: actually the worst musical I ever saw was the tv version of The Music Man or the Brandy version of Cinderella. Just wind me up and watch me go off on those two turkeys. Lost Horizon is somewhere in the neighborhood of Annie and Mame. So if you like Annie and Mame, you'll like Lost Horizon. Xanadu is worse...by far.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Moe Dickstein said:
I like Xanadu better than Annie... Mame is pretty enjoyably bad too.
The Wiz is stupendously awful too...but I think it's got more to do with bad cinematography than anything else.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
My boss John Badham was originally supposed to direct The Wiz. When he was doing it the idea was to film on location in Georgia like the play and have a little girl playing Dorothy.
When the studio got the idea that Diana Ross should play it he figured out how to get himself fired from the movie so he'd still get paid and then a few weeks later he got the job to direct Saturday Night Fever...

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Moe Dickstein said:
My boss John Badham was originally supposed to direct The Wiz. When he was doing it the idea was to film on location in Georgia like the play and have a little girl playing Dorothy.
When the studio got the idea that Diana Ross should play it he figured out how to get himself fired from the movie so he'd still get paid and then a few weeks later he got the job to direct Saturday Night Fever...
Good for Saturday Night Fever...bad for the Wiz!
Actually, as long as they're remaking old musicals...why in the world don't they remake the Wiz? They could give it a more contemporary flavor using today's greatest hip-hop stars. And not spend so damn much money filming trash cans with teeth...

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Or maybe do it in the bayou like it was supposed to be in the first place...
The whole story of this is in John's book which is a fun read in general: "I'll Be In My Trailer". He came up with the best way to get himself fired lol
The idea to move it to NYC and all came after he left.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I saw The Wiz on stage when it toured a few years ago, Stephanie Mills, the little powerhouse who played Dorothy on Broadway, reprised her role. It was impressive.
As for Xanadu, I'd like that one on blu. I'll be on the lookout for Lost Horizon.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It was probably the megathread here that got TT interested in LOST HORIZON in the first place.
I'm surprised that Sony passed on a BLUE LAGOON Blu but perhaps it thinks the movie has hit its saturation point on home video.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Love that cover art -- what an improvement over the original one-sheet! Hope I they are going to send out free magnets to the first 1,000 buyers again. AND they have carried virtually every special feature over from the DVD and even added one -- the isolated score track. As I recall, there are several snippets of music in the film which did not make it onto the soundtrack album.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
MAME- whatever one thinks of it-deserves a Bluray treatment.
I agree about a THE WIZ redo. If they got the right stars (CeeLo as the Lion maybe?)-it would make a fortune. As bad as the 1978 version was-it is still a favorite among many-imagine if they did it right. Dorothy should be age appropriate- the Gold medal gymnast (whose name im forgetting) would by ideal -but only if she could sing. Mo'nique as the Wicked Witch would be fun.
And while we are at it- Bruce Kimmels commentary on the bluray of THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL is outstanding as is the extras filled disc itself. There should be a book about this film (excuse me if there already is)-so much behind the scenes drama. With all her hijinks during the making of Disneys HERBIE FULLY LOADED movie with Lindsay Lohan, Disney still delivered. Alot has changed in 35 years since Paramount disassociated itself with NUDIE because Cindy Williams was involved.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Louis Letizia said:
YES - and in stereo! I don't care if Warners thinks the edits to help Lucy's singing are too obvious. Include the mono track for history but give me stereo.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Even as an adult, I strongly prefer Annie to Mame or Xanadu, enough to stake my reputation as a reviewer on it. But I'd end up buying the latter two on Blu-ray anyway. Now that Gypsy is coming out this way, Mame might come out as a Warner Archive Blu-ray (the non-musical Auntie Mame is supposed to be coming next year, and that should be a spectacular disc). Xanadu is at the mercy of Universal, though, and I would have settled for this just to get any musicals out of them for the 100th anniversary.

bryan4999 said:
/t/325198/a-sneak-peek-at-lost-horizon-and-the-blue-lagoon#post_4002626
I agree about a THE WIZ redo. If they got the right stars (CeeLo as the Lion maybe?)-it would make a fortune. As bad as the 1978 version was-it is still a favorite among many-imagine if they did it right. Dorothy should be age appropriate- the Gold medal gymnast (whose name im forgetting) would by ideal -but only if she could sing. Mo'nique as the Wicked Witch would be fun.
Do you mean Gabby Giffords?

Mo'nique would make a great Evilene. Willow Smith might actually make a decent Dorothy.

Anyway, I recently saw The Wiz in its entirety for the first time, and unlike many of the usual musical critical whipping boys and girls, I think the critical consensus on this one was right on. I found it a boring, ugly, miscast film that's at least 10 minutes too long, and in order for a remake to be worse, they'd have to do it on purpose. However, I think Diana Ross' version of "Home" is one of her best vocal performances, and Diana and Michael's version of "Ease on Down the Road" is great. Disney dropped this show's name for the Wonderful World of Disney treatment years ago, but I guess they decided to go with Muppets' Wizard of Oz instead. Realistically, I don't think we'll see this get remade anytime soon, at least not before Wicked gets a movie version.

A Chorus Line is probably the most disappointing film version of a classic musical, taking something that was innovative and daring on stage and sacrificing it to the gods of the Three-Act Structure, making it feel safe, ordinary and just plain mediocre (I've read about some ideas kicked around in development that were even worse than the movie we got, though). Unfortunately, I'm afraid the chance to really do it justice on the screen died when Michael Bennett passed up the chance to make it himself.

Personally, I'd rather see them do film versions of musicals that haven't been filmed before, both old and new. Let them have a chance to sink or swim on the screen first. But musicals are vulnerable again. Rock of Ages flopped hard, and I fear for the future of the form if Les Miserables is not a hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks