What's new

A reminder to Canadians: Today is voting day! (1 Viewer)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
We are what is called a "Constitutional Monarchy". That means we have our own constitution and we do all of our own governing but we still recognize the Queen/King as our "head of state".
She is represented here by the Governor General. Still, pretty much a figurehead position but that's what we have.

For anyone that wants to learn more...

Hah! I just saw Francois' post. Honest...not until after I had written mine :D

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Statute of Westminster Adoption Act, 1923. I want to know: do Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, Newfoundlanders, &c, keep copies of the Statute of Westminster and their own individual Adoption Acts tacked up on the wall, the way US citizens often do with the Declaration of Independence?

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I certainly have never seen someone have anything
like that in their house. I find that we Canadians
tend to be a bit less patriotic than Americans.

Or at least, we don't show our patriotism in the
same way as Americans.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> We are what is called a "Constitutional Monarchy". That means we have our own constitution and we do all of our own governing but we still recognize the Queen/King as our "head of state".

Hi, I'm Chris. I'm single. Let me introduce you to my wife...

eh?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Statute of Westminster Adoption Act? Most Canadians would say, "WTF is that?".....let alone have it hanging on their wall. :laugh:

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Ok.. Read up on the Statute of Westminster on Wikipedia. Now I know WTF it is. However, I don't know WhereTF the document is located. It's probably in a locked filing cabinet at the National Archives in Ottawa, forever lost. :D

At least we know we have access to our constitution (formerly known as the British North American Act). And that's FULL access. We patriated it back in 1982, allowing us to apply any modification we wish without having to ask Britain's permission first. That's one freedom the Statute DIDN'T grant us.

My God! I've just learned something about my country today! How'd that happen? :D

EDIT: I just found out our new PM may actually have a pair! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11057794 :D

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I learned more about the Canadian election by watching the "Daily Show" and the "Colbert Report" then from the mainstream U.S. media.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
A question for our Canadian members. I always hear about the Quebec seperatists. Just curious how seperate do they want to be? seperate for domestic issues only or all the way up to their own country?

Thanks!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

I've spent the last five years living in Texas where the US flag is plastered on just about everything...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks