What's new

"A Place in the Sun" 4K scan... coming to Blu? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
ti110081_large.jpg

Park Circus is showing that a 4K digital version of A Place in the Sun is available for screening (and the film will be shown across Canada this month as part of Cineplex's Classic Film Series). This year is the film's 65th anniversary... perhaps a Blu-ray won't be too far away?

http://www.parkcircus.com/films/23121-a-place-in-the-sun

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Is this the same Park Circus which has released some Blu-ray discs in the U.K?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Yes, they have, however the division of the company I linked to works "with major studios and film libraries [and] makes it easy to put great films back on the big screen" in the UK and across Europe. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that they'll be distributing A Place in the Sun on Blu-ray.

I wonder if WB or even Criterion could possibly be handling a potential North American Blu-ray of A Place in the Sun, and the 4K restoration of another Paramount title, Romeo and Juliet (1968)?

Reactions: PMF

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
The DCP of A Place In The Sun is part of Paramount's theatrical library here in North America - Park Circus have nothing to do with it.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The DCP of A Place In The Sun is part of Paramount's theatrical library here in North America - Park Circus have nothing to do with it.

Not true. Park Circus acts as a sort of middleman between exhibitors and studios.

http://www.parkcircus.com/what_we_do

I recently caught a screening of Dressed to Kill that started with the Park Circus logo.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Not true. Park Circus acts as a sort of middleman between exhibitors and studios.

http://www.parkcircus.com/what_we_do

I recently caught a screening of Dressed to Kill that started with the Park Circus logo.

Quite true, as they handle North American distribution for many titles, as well as sub-distributing in many territories for other studios. A Place In The Sun is still booked through Paramount domestically.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Well, I posted the link not to suggest that Park Cirucs would be handling distribution on either side of the pond, but to share the news that a 4K scan has been done which bodes well for a future Blu-ray release.

Hopefully we'll see these new restorations of A Place in the Sun and Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet on Blu-ray at some point.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Well, I posted the link not to suggest that Park Cirucs would be handling distribution on either side of the pond, but to share the news that a 4K scan has been done which bodes well for a future Blu-ray release.

Hopefully we'll see these new restorations of A Place in the Sun and Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet on Blu-ray at some point.
Both of these titles are long overdue, but well worth the wait, if the delays have been over creating that 4K perfection.
Hope they're heeding your words, Mr. Budgell.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'm just back from seeing a digital screening of A Place in the Sun. It's screening in cinemas across Canada this month as part of Cineplex's Classic Film Series. It looked astonishingly beautiful and must be the new scan. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we get this on Blu-ray soon. It's gorgeous.

PS It screens again on July 20th and July 25th.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I'm just back from seeing a digital screening of A Place in the Sun. It's screening in cinemas across Canada this month as part of Cineplex's Classic Film Series. It looked astonishingly beautiful and must be the new scan. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we get this on Blu-ray soon. It's gorgeous.

PS It screens again on July 20th and July 25th.
Being in Canada too, I'm going to see this! I too hope it comes out soon...

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
legal,.....yes; possible........... that would be anybody's guess.

Well, they are releasing the 40th Anniversary Saturday Night Fever Director's Cut disc in May all by themselves, and SNF was part of the WB deal IIRC.

So if they're willing to release a newly restored SNF all on their own, maybe they can get A Place In The Sun out... or even Roman Holiday!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
its just been a while since they have been willing to release any of their own back catalogue, so many great titles, that they could release, and many waiting for announcements. the comment was in jest, but then the Court Jester is in jest as well. and no sign of it. there is that staple of classic titles that will always be in the heavy rotation, "White Christmas" comes to mind, but others are just as deserving.

SNF, gets another release, and yes I am looking forward to it, but no sign of Urban Cowboy......

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
its just bee a while since they have been willing to release any of their own back catalogue, so many great titles, that they could release, and many waiting for announcements. the comment was in jest, but then the Court Jester is in jest as well. and no sign of it. there is that staple of classic titles that will always be in the heavy rotation, "White Christmas" comes to mind, but others are just as deserving.

SNF, gets another release, and yes I am looking forward to it, but no sign of Urban Cowboy......

The only glimmer of hope I see with SNF is that it's a new 4K scan and a director's cut when they could have just slapped the same old disc in new packaging like it was Star Trek 1 or 3-10.

Maybe they figure it's time to get a few extra bucks out of these new 4K scans. I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks