A paranoid AMD question..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeH, Oct 30, 2001.

1. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I just got my new computer yesterday and hopefully I'm just paranoid. I ordered an AMD 1.4 Tbird, when the systems starts up it recognizes an 1.04 AMD and XP sees it as a 1.06 AMD. I was expecting to see 1.40 AMD. So before I go yellling and screaming, is this normal or did I pay for something I didn't get.
    Thanks everyone,
    Mike

2. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Who makes your motherboard? What is the chipset? Sounds very much like you need a BIOS update.

3. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Depending on your motherboard, you may just have to set some jumpers or change a few BIOS settings. People were having this problem with the ECS boards and just had to manually adjust a few BIOS settings.
    C. Ryan
    ------------------
    http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp

4. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys, I have the ASUS A7M266 based on the AMD-761 chipset. Does that help?
    Mike

5. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Asus are normally pretty frequent with their bios updates; my first stop would be to get a recent one and make sure that it supports chips to the 1.4GHz speed. It may be that your current motherboard setup can only cope with chips as fast as 1GHz, and so thats what it is running at.

6. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

You have to go into the bios menu and change the cpu multiplier and bus speed manually. I got a AthlonXP 1800 which is clocked at 1.53ghz. When I first booted the system it was running around 1ghz. I think its a safety precaution ASUS puts into the boards so you can't burn up your cpu. You can select "Automatic" in you bios menu and the bios should list "1400" somewhere in the cpu speed list. Or if you want you could go manual and choose 10.5x for the multiplier and 133mhz for you bus speed. Hope this helps.

7. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Eric, I'll give it a try when I get home from work.
    I love this place. [​IMG]

8. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

Just a quick update.
    I went into the BIOS, changed the system frequency from 100 mhz to 133 mhz and I now have a AMD 1.4 in my system.
    Thanks everyone for you advice.
    Mike

9. Tony Woods

Tony Woods Extra

Athlon XP 1800...can you smell my jealousy?
    I can't wait for some good nForce boards! then i will upgrade to something faster than my current setup
    in the mean time i chunk along on my Thunderbird 850 @1100mhz on my Asus A7V [​IMG]