Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
matt-hough has published a new article.

A Kiss Before Dying (1956) Blu-ray Review

kissbeforedietop-150x150.png

A murder mystery turned into a melodramatic murder thriller, Gerd Oswald’s A Kiss Before Dying might not have the shocks of the original book...
Continue reading the original article.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Well, the DVD is acceptable - to me, at least - so, as this transfer is less than ideal, I'll stay with standard definition.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
watched my copy Sunday. Sorry to say, the reviews are pretty accurate. Very inconsistent disc, at times looks great then colors shift in the middle of a screen, frames are missing, all as Matt indicated. All in all, watchable but probably not better than the upconverted DVD. A disappointment.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
The reviews and comments seem to be consistent which is annoying because I like this film and was hoping the image quality would be similar to the excellent Violent Saturday. I will get this on a price reduction.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
The source print is badly beat up in some sequences, it alternates between looking good and sporadically slips into awful to somewhat acceptable sequences... the inexplicable (to me) color shift into blue is distracting at times...

This film deserved better treatment by MGM, apparently the sins of neglect go back a long way...bad elements...so, I don't blame Kino-Lorber, of course...and, I'm still glad to have it as it's a fine film...

If you like your old dvd, I think it should suffice, and agree that this blu would be a better buy at a discount...

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Here we go again - there is no shift to blue, nor is the color on view especially vibrant or accurate. It's a pretty crappy source or a crappy transfer and a weird one, but there is no shift to blue (oh how I wish we could just leave that in the dust by now) - I have the DVD somewhere and haven't compared but will try to do so.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
According to IMDb the aspect ratio should be 2.55:1 not 2.35:1. Some scenes look cropped a little too tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks