What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Will Penny – in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Roger Ebert, in his June 1968 review of Tom Gries "Will Penny" makes a wonderful differentiation between "westerns" and "cowboy" movies. To read his words, go here:

I've been a fan of this film since I first saw it in a theater in a gorgeous dye transfer print, and Kino's new Blu-ray with a huge "thank you" to Paramount replicates those visuals in an extremely satisfying manner. One could be projecting a 35.

The scenes shot in snow are tops and for that you can thank the great Lucien Ballard.

Will Penny is also one of my favorite Charlton Heston performances, ably supported by Joan Hackett, Donald Pleasence, Lee Majors (yes, that Lee Majors), Bruce Dern, Ben Johnson and Slim Pickens - a veritable cornucopia of western supporting players.

My advice. Just grab a copy, saddle up and hang out by a warm campfire.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (2.0 DTS-HD MA Monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 9

Slipcover rating - 1

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Mr. Harris, while the headline is for Dangerous When Wet, the review is for Will Penny.

BTW, so glad to hear Paramount didn't drop the ball on this. I also saw Will Penny when it opened, at the RKO Coliseum in Washington Heights, and the color and detail on the print was truly amazing. So looking forward to this!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Harris, while the headline is for Dangerous When Wet, the review is for Will Penny.

BTW, so glad to hear Paramount didn't drop the ball on this. I also saw Will Penny when it opened, at the RKO Coliseum in Washington Heights, and the color and detail on the print was truly amazing. So looking forward to this!
Was trying to recycle the W to help save the planet and neglected to change the heading.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Yes I took advantage of this price a few days ago when it dropped. It’s well worth even a blind buy, though I saw it upon its original theatrical release and was impressed. One of Heston’s most understated, finest performances, and Joan Hackett is equally fine.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Roger Ebert, in his June 1968 review of Tom Gries "Will Penny" makes a wonderful differentiation between "westerns" and "cowboy" movies. To read his words, go here:

I've been a fan of this film since I first saw it in a theater in a gorgeous dye transfer print, and Kino's new Blu-ray with a huge "thank you" to Paramount replicates those visuals in an extremely satisfying manner. One could be projecting a 35.

The scenes shot in snow are tops and for that you can thank the great Lucien Ballard.

Will Penny is also one of my favorite Charlton Heston performances, ably supported by Joan Hackett, Donald Pleasence, Lee Majors (yes, that Lee Majors), Bruce Dern, Ben Johnson and Slim Pickens - a veritable cornucopia of western supporting players.

My advice. Just grab a copy, saddle up and hang out by a warm campfire.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (2.0 DTS-HD MA Monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 9

Slipcover rating - 1

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

I was not going to order this [ have DVD ] but will now thanks to your review .

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched my copy of Will Penny today, and it looked great. Nice upgrade from the old DVD, while retaining the extras. I plan on watching it again soon and listen to the new commentary track.

I then watched "Line Camp", an episode from The Westerner that the film was supposedly based on. It was interesting to see Slim Pickens in both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks