What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Texas Chainsaw Massacre -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Vincent_P said:
I don't believe that explanation at all.

Vincent
Me neither. Maybe I could believe it if all the fades were gone but why just that one? Same goes for the minor audio change. People can get fixated on small things but it's hard to think that Hooper has been bothered by those two things enough that he's finally decided to change them after 40 years.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
They're getting the transfer from Dark Sky so they can't really say there is anything wrong with it, especially since it would add fuel to the replacement program requests. This way, Dark Sky have the new "Tobe Hooper approved" version and Second Sight have the original version. Everyone wins. What's almost certainly the case though is that the fade wasn't recreated and simply missed, and no one including Hooper, noticed it.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
EddieLarkin said:
They're getting the transfer from Dark Sky so they can't really say there is anything wrong with it,
Could it also be the case that both Dark Sky and Second Sight paid something towards the scan.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Forgive me for not combing the thread, I've been out of the loop for a while now because of personal issues, what's a quick summary? So the US release did have a downmix? Apparently it was allegedly going to be fixed on the UK release, was it? I was so looking forward to this release :(...

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
I watched this last night (Second Sight) and it looked absolutely jaw dropping. The level of detail was fantastic and the grain structure fully intact, colour and black levels were sublime. What a fantastic release.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
On the US version the mono is a downmix and has an error near the end of the film (some of Sally's screams are missing and looped over with previous ones). The UK disc has the original mono and thus no error. The US disc also has some missing fades (replaced with cuts) to the opening, which are also fixed on the UK disc.

And if you're really nitpicky, the UK disc has slightly better grain retention due to superior compression:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=492&y=186&d1=4769&d2=5083&s1=44408&s2=47378&l=0&i=2&go=1

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
EddieLarkin said:
On the US version the mono is a downmix and has an error near the end of the film (some of Sally's screams are missing and looped over with previous ones). The UK disc has the original mono and thus no error. The US disc also has some missing fades (replaced with cuts) to the opening, which are also fixed on the UK disc.

And if you're really nitpicky, the UK disc has slightly better grain retention due to superior compression:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=492&y=186&d1=4769&d2=5083&s1=44408&s2=47378&l=0&i=2&go=1

A straight answer. Thank you. Thank you.

Thank-you-for-the-gif-_1702c7a2b305471dd44c75a00aeadb32.jpg

I KNEW being region-free would pay off someday :D!

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Apparently, as indicated by RAH and others, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has been turned into an impressive looking Blu-ray. But considering that the film was shot in 16mm, which RAH noted is a limiting factor for shadow detail, I'd imagine that if the rights owners of the film decide to look for more revenue by issuing an UHD BD edition, fans would basically be wasting their money by buying it.

Also, I'd hope that RAH might like to comment about whether the 16mm photography of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, with its compromised shadow detail, could only gain a small advantage, or even, none at all, by being processed in HDR.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent

And if you're really nitpicky, the UK disc has slightly better grain retention due to superior compression.

Re the various 40th Anniversary discs: it appears the Oz (Umbrella) also uses the flawed master, while the German (Turbine) sets have the corrected version.
Does anyone know which master these sets, or any others, use?

Also, what's the exact status of Dark Sky's 2008 US Ultimate Edition and Second Sight's 2009 UK Seriously Ultimate Edition BDs? As they contain the 2006 2K transfer, presumably the opening fades are intact. I also understand they have the original, error-free mono, but do the surround remixes have any flaws?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks