What's new

A few words about...™ The Green Knight -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Those familiar with David Lowery's directorial work, and I'm referencing A Ghost Story at the head of the pack in this case, will know in advance that the viewer will not be on the receiving end of just another tale based on Arthurian legend.

And it isn't.

Occasionally meandering, occasionally possible a bit confusing, this 130 minute film, is seemingly more a tone poem than a feature film, and I mean that as a positive.

It follows a nephew of Arthur's, one young (and not yet ready for knighthood) Gawain, on a strange and hallucinatory journey. It is decidedly not anything akin to those huge productions of costumed knights and their adventures away from that table.

At times this film reminded me of two Antonioni films (Blow-Up and L'Avventura) as well as those of other filmmakers - just tiny bits and pieces on the screen.

Beautifully shot by Joe Anderson via an Alexa 65, the film was finished as 4k data, which means that this is a rara avis, being actual 4k throughout post.

One cannot write about The Green Knight without making note of Dev Patel's extraordinary performance. For those who have not yet experience the film, you'll see... Alicia Vikander and Sean Harris add to the perfection.

Watching the superb "making of" featurette, brought out another player, production designer Jade Healy, who is linked to Mr. Lowery via multiple productions. She has also done fine work for others, and comes off as an artistic powerhouse, adding production value, whilst controlling costs.

As to Mr. Lowery's upcoming project, it would be Peter Pan & Wendy (for Disney), with young Ever Anderson (daughter of) in the lead as Wendy.

In the end, The Green Knight is a long(ish), strange, thought-provoking film, that's worth two hours of your time.

In tech terms, the imagery is magnificent, and the track, room-filling from all directions via Dolby Atmos. For those who may not have Atmos yet installed, this may be one more reason.

Image – 5 (HDR/Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Highly Recommended

RAH

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The GREEN Knight's production designer is JADE Healy. How wonderful. :)

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I was lucky enough to see this in the theatre and the atmosphere was just stunning throughout.

I picked it up day of release and watched the hour-long documentary this morning.

Mark VH

Second Unit
I was lucky enough to see this in the theatre and the atmosphere was just stunning throughout.

I picked it up day of release and watched the hour-long documentary this morning.

It's a tremendous film, and frankly we should be lucky that someone with Lowery's sensibilities is still getting films released theatrically on a wide scale. I grabbed the Blu-ray and can't wait to watch the movie again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks