What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Big Sleep (1946) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

P

Patrick Donahue

Second or third in the pantheon? That makes for some hard choosing ... my favourites in no particular order (apart from the first of course) are Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep and of course The African Queen. Running close behind comes Sabrina and To Have and Have Not.

And "In a Lonely Place". So many...

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I thought the image quality was slightly less good than I was expecting.

Although the image overall is quite stunning, there some shots that obviously came from lower generation sources, and I don't mean optical shots before fades. I remember noticing these issues on the DVD, and they're even more noticeable now. However, this is by far the best I've ever seen the film look.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I agree that this is the best the film will look and it has taken a long time for it to arrive on blu-ray. My remarks about the PQ relate to the soft spots.

Casablanca is number one for me and I will now give The Maltese Falcon another spin. Hopefully In a Lonely Place will be along soon.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I'm two thirds of the way through re-reading the novel. Most of the dialogue in the film comes from the novel. There have been some slight changes. For example, Joe Brody, not Eddie Mars, says "You take chances" and Marlowe does not reply with "I get paid to" but that line about grapefruit comes from Chandler.

Thanks for mentioning the novel. Based upon your post, I read it. It's a quick read, but quite enjoyable. Chandler's prose is tough but with lapses into florid and amusing descriptions.

I found it interesting for the time that:
1) Despite several homophobic jokes by the characters, Geiger's and his lover's relationship are discussed matter-of-factly by Marlowe and others.
2) Brody is described as a non-white character (numerous references to kinky hair and brown skin). His ethnicity is not clearly defined, but he's treated as a normal intelligent human being (although not a particularly savvy crook), instead of as some kind of stereotype. Of course, in the film, he was played by a white actor.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I thought I’d resurrect this thread. Last weekend I watched The Maltese Falcon on the new 4K blu ray. I had collected the other Warner Archive Bogart films, The Big Sleep, To Have or To Have Not, Dark Passage, Key Largo and Sabrina with the intention of doing a Bogart film viewing. Of course I already have Casablanca and The African Queen and I think they are the only Bogart films I’ve ever really seen. I may have seen others or more likely portions of others.

So it was my Intent to do a Bogart viewing project. Last night I finally watched The Big Sleep on the Blu ray release of this thread. I think I’ve seen portions of this film before, but upon my viewing last night, I don’t recall any of it. This was an interesting film. I can see how people can be confused by the plot. There are layers of stuff going on. And I did watch the featurette with Robert Gist that covers the differences between the 1945 and 1946 edits.

On the whole, I enjoyed The Maltese Falcon for what it is. It was straight forward. As far as the Big Sleep, I enjoyed it as well and I feel it needs a few more viewings to absorb the twists, and turns. Also I have to add, as a Get Smart fan, I can see Don Adams picks up all the little ticks and mannerisms of Bogart in The Big Sleep for his Bogart impression as Maxwell Smart uses a Bogart like cover on two of his missions. Great fun! “You said what?” :)

Now I need to determine which film to see next. Dark Passge is of interest as it’s filmed in San Francisco for real this time. I also found out High Sierra is available from Criterion, I missed that one. i might go chronologically.

I’ll take any suggestions for which title to view next.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Key Largo features a stellar cast of actors, and the drama is exciting, and the character studies are sublime. Another Bogart/Criterion I'd highly recommend is In a Lonely Place with a Bogart performance definitely different from his Warner star years.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hey guys, I thought I’d resurrect this thread. Last weekend I watched The Maltese Falcon on the new 4K blu ray. I had collected the other Warner Archive Bogart films, The Big Sleep, To Have or To Have Not, Dark Passage, Key Largo and Sabrina with the intention of doing a Bogart film viewing. Of course I already have Casablanca and The African Queen and I think they are the only Bogart films I’ve ever really seen. I may have seen others or more likely portions of others.

So it was my Intent to do a Bogart viewing project. Last night I finally watched The Big Sleep on the Blu ray release of this thread. I think I’ve seen portions of this film before, but upon my viewing last night, I don’t recall any of it. This was an interesting film. I can see how people can be confused by the plot. There are layers of stuff going on. And I did watch the featurette with Robert Gist that covers the differences between the 1945 and 1946 edits.

On the whole, I enjoyed The Maltese Falcon for what it is. It was straight forward. As far as the Big Sleep, I enjoyed it as well and I feel it needs a few more viewings to absorb the twists, and turns. Also I have to add, as a Get Smart fan, I can see Don Adams picks up all the little ticks and mannerisms of Bogart in The Big Sleep for his Bogart impression as Maxwell Smart uses a Bogart like cover on two of his missions. Great fun! “You said what?” :)

Now I need to determine which film to see next. Dark Passge is of interest as it’s filmed in San Francisco for real this time. I also found out High Sierra is available from Criterion, I missed that one. i might go chronologically.

I’ll take any suggestions for which title to view next.
Dark Passage is a good film, but there is a camera technique that is utilized for much of the film. Some people don't like it, but I kind of enjoy it, like I did when it was utilized in Lady in the Lake. Anyhow, Key Largo and To Have and Have Not are good choices too since you already own those films on Blu-ray. As to Sabrina, it has its fans and detractors. Audrey Hepburn is lovely in the film, even though both, Bogart and William Holden are too long in the tooth for their roles. I'm a fan of it as well as the Harrison Ford remake.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Dark Passage is a good film, but there is a camera technique that is utilized for much of the film. Some people don't like it, but I kind of enjoy it, like I did when it was utilized in Lady in the Lake. Anyhow, Key Largo and To Have and Have Not are good choices too since you already own those films on Blu-ray. As to Sabrina, it has its fans and detractors. Audrey Hepburn is lovely in the film, even though both, Bogart and William Holden are a little too for their roles. I'm a fan of it as well as the Harrison Ford remake.
You forgot to type the word "old" for Bogart and Holden. Bogart, in particular, is way too old.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bogart was way too long in the tooth; Holden's gums were just starting to recede.
Yeah, but the movie probably doesn't get filmed without those two male stars. You see that a lot in movies made in yesteryear. Hell, you might see some of it today.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys for the title recommendations! I just added The Treasure of Sierra Madre to my cart as well as In a Lonely Place and High Sierra.

As far as Sabrina, I picked that up as part of my preparation for a Hepburn viewing project. :) So I guess with that title, I got a twofer. Or actually threefer considering if I do a Holden viewing too. And as for the long in the tooth comment, all the heavy drinking and smoking those guys did in those days cetainly did not do them any favors!

In regards to Dark Passage, Robert, I think I know what you are referring to in regards to the camera technique as Bogart’s character spends much of the film in bandages. If that’s what you mean?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In regards to Dark Passage, Robert, I think I know what you are referring to in regards to the camera technique as Bogart’s character spends much of the film in bandages. If that’s what you mean?
No, what I was referring to is that a good portion of the movie was filmed from his POV. You don't see his face until much later in the film. There is a reason why that's the case, but I'll let you see it first in order not to spoil your first viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks