What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Star Trek & Star Trek Into Darkness -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As full disclosure, I've never been a Star Trek fan. Never watched the TV series. Saw the original features, and did enjoy, was it IV? -- the one with the whales?

That said, way back in 2009, there was a re-imagining, and another in 2016, as Paramount releases both of the J.J. Abrams' Star Treks in 4k UHD, mit HDR.

Comparing the Blu-rays of Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) to the 4k, makes for an interesting discussion, and to my eyes, the imagery is so different in terms of color, densities, black levels, et al, that these are essentially two different riffs on the same concept, and can easily inhabit a space side by side, or possibly in different times.

Star Trek has been upgraded to Dolby Atmos, which adds an additional layer of audio.

These are two beautiful releases, but I have a single gripe, which has been heard before.

Both for those who already own Into Darkness, as well as those who do not, it would be far easier for people to purchase the 4k, along with Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray, as opposed to holding their previous release, just for the 3D. Although I suppose that one could take the 3D from the old packaging, add to the new, and gift the 2D in the old packaging to a needy friend.

Regardless, Paramount comes out of the gate with two beautiful 4k UHD / HDR Blu-rays, both with Atmos.

Fans of the series should be suitably thrilled, as should fans of Raiders, as Into Darkness opens as such.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home is the one with the whales!

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
While these are still sitting at $48 apiece at Amazon, they have dropped below $30 at best buy, so maybe there is a prayer.

I agree on the 3D disk being included. It was nice to see that on the Shout Factory releases. For these that will be double dips, it is not so bad, but for current/future releases w/o the double dip, the 3D will be missed.

Ray0414

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
How does the resolution differ (very noticeable or just subtle) and is there a big difference with hdr here? Also, how do the imax scenes differ from the 1080p blu ray?

Last edited:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
This is fantastic news I wonder how the compare to the 4K STD versions I have now? I have pre-ordered them because I really like these movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks