What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Count me as one of those naysayers who didn't believe that Singin' in the Rain could shine any more in 4k than it did via Blu-ray.

And while we're not able to compare the new scans and restorative efforts vs a new Blu-ray, only the original c. 2012, I'm seeing Huge differences.

While there's a nice uptick in overall resolution as compared to the earlier scan, there is also far more in the control of blacks and a major gain in shadow detail. Beyond that, colors pop with not only perfection, but subtlety and purity.

I'm the first to admit that my thoughts were incorrect, and can fully support this 4k upgrade, which any cinephile will find astounding.

Best grab a copy, as I'm betting the first pressing will run out quickly!

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (DTD-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Beautifully

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4.25

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
It’s all about how many units are sold.
Not asking for actual sale numbers but as an industry w/o brick and mortar stores I wonder how many units is considered boffo --- remember the days of Disney selling millions of VHS copies and the same for Paramount with Beverly Hills Cop!

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
May 9 in OZ. EZYDVD is even cheaper than JB 25 bucks. BTW I will be in Melbourne from May 1 to 17, (escaping the Kiwi Coop0. Dunno if we can catch up? We might be taking train to Ballarat one day where a very old friend's daughter is managing the gallery there.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Arrives here in Australia at the start of May. And through JB HiFi, it's even cheaper than in the States! I think it must be a double-disc; UHD and Blu ray, but can't find details on the site. Ordered it anyway...... but of course!

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
So this new 4K combo package comes with the 2012 blu-ray that everyone already owns and nobody will want to view as the mastering is now obsolete? Well that’s rich. They should have just left it out then. Some people may get burnt if they’re expecting something different here on the blu and don’t have a 4K setup yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks