What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ "Shake Hands with the Devil" – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
"Shake Hands with the Devil" is one of the better films produced about Irish revolution in 1921. Think of it as a cross between The Informer and Ryan's Daughter, but directed by Michael Anderson.

Only with James Cagney instead of Victor McLaglen, and without Freddie Young's incomparable cinematography in color.

And while many sequences appear on the nourish side in lovely black & white by Erwin Hiller - not a household name, but a gentleman with some wonderful work to his credit.

Think: A Canterbury Tale and I Know Where I'm Going for The Archers, The Shoes of the Fisherman, The Valley of Gwangi...

with a career that went back to assistant camera on Tabu, and M in 1931.

I make note of this, because what you'll see on screen in Kino's new Blu-ray is beyond my expectations. Probably derived from a fine grain, it has very rich blacks, a wonderful grain scale, and an overall film-like image - akin to viewing a 35mm print. So much for the need for 4k.

Mr. Cagney is wonderful!

Image – 4.5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – I'm unaware of a DVD

Recommended

RAH

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I have it on DVD. It's a R2 British release but alas, full frame. I can't wait to upgrade to the blu ray. An undervalued film with a scene stealing performance by Glynis Johns.
Glynis also elevated the Danny Kaye classic the Court Jester!! One of my Favorites...the pellet with the poison is in the Flagon with a dragon, The vessel with the pessle has the brew that is true!! LOL!!!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw this as a child of 8. Went right over my head because it's a morally complex film. Saw it as an adult sometime in the late '70s in a gorgeous 35mm print; thought it was an amazing film. Definitely for adults.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
And she was marvelous in the original production of "A Little Night Music" on Broadway.
I remember her as "Lady Penelope Peasoup" on Bat-Man
1641277781429.png

1641277740663.png
;)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks