What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Musicals 4-Movie Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Michael1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Portantiere
Derived from the multi-angle (as in channels) recordings that MGM was known for in this era. That's how we have true stereophonic sound for Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Meet Me in St. Louis, and Singin' in the Rain.

I don't think Gone With the Wind should be included on that list. I think all of the music survives only in mono, whether or not it was originally recorded on separate stems, though some stereo/surround rechanneling of some of the sound effects (notably the explosions in the siege of Atlanta sequence) has been done for home video.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Bob, in one of the latter pictures in your review there is a blurb that states "In Perfected 3D", is this a reference to the single strip 3D prints that were available on some films?

I don't think so. They were using that line "perfected" around the time that an external electronic control box for the projectors was made available that allowed minor phase & sync adjustments *while* the show was running.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
No, just a marketing push to assure moviegoers that with the newly-installed Polaroid sync control unit now in operation, they should see a perfect presentation.

Famous last words...

Polaroid-sync-11.7.53-1.jpg

Polaroid.gif

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I think I paid $17.99 for the Musicals 4-Movie Collection when it was first released.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
. . . . and I've never realised this until now, I don't think I've ever seen a pin-up type photo of Kathryn Grayson. . . . .

I have now!

Kathryn Grayson.jpg

I came across this today. I was astonished. I had completely forgotten about this discussion but this photo reminded me of it immediately.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Grayson and Mario Lanza together in That Midnight Kiss and The Toast of New Orleans. Magic. Heaven. Sublime. Sheer talent on display and good looks to boot. You have to admire those ole MGM musicals. They packaged musical entertainment better than anybody else. Blu-rays of each of the aforementioned would be nice!

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I still wish they would have held out on releasing the That's Entertainment films until more of the original films from which the clips were taken had been given decent HD masters.

I remember that the third TE film was released to laserdisc as an expansive (and expensive!) box they went through the effort to re-configure the LD master using updated elements directly from the respective films, and the results were quite stunning for the day.

It would have also been appreciated if they had thrown in That's Dancing as well.

I saw this set for $16.99 at Costco today.

Also at Costco That's Entertainment Trilogy $16.99.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I still wish they would have held out on releasing the That's Entertainment films until more of the original films from which the clips were taken had been given decent HD masters.

I remember that the third TE film was released to laserdisc as an expansive (and expensive!) box they went through the effort to re-configure the LD master using updated elements directly from the respective films, and the results were quite stunning for the day.

It would have also been appreciated if they had thrown in That's Dancing as well.

I agree. The blu-ray set is hard to watch. The resolution of the sequences is quite inconsistent. It is obvious where they used and inserted HD masters and where they did not. The black and white ones, in particular, are very grainy and do not look any better than the DVD's. Let's hope.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The Musicals 4-movie collection is still available from Amazon for $27—less than $7 a movie! As RAH wrote in his original review, it seems like an pricing error in your favor. I could imagine each of these movies individually could be a $30 Criterion blu-ray. If there's anyone out there who likes musicals but doesn't yet have this set, well, it's highly recommended. Right now I'm watching The Band Wagon again, which is really funny—as well as tuneful and at times spectacular. Wonderful 3-strip Technicolor presentation with great sound. Here's what was written in the original review on this one....

"The Band Wagon - M-G-M - 1953 - Directed by Vincente Minnelli - Three-strip Technicolor - Stereo

Cast: Fred Astaire, Cyd Charisse, Oscar Levant, Nanette Fabray, Jack Buchanan

The second of the great M-G-M musicals in the set. Great fun.

Perfect color, densities, beautiful blacks and whites. A magnificent representation of the original on disc. Great stereo."

If you're like me, and sometimes wish for something else to be playing at your local movie theater, blu-ray sets like this provide a great option for your home theater.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
PS Jack Buchanan does a great job playing a parody of an absurdly bad Broadway director and star. That fake BandWagon show within The Band Wagon movie is cringe-worthy, hilarious, and wonderful.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Too bad this set includes “Calamity Jane”. This is a Warner musical. I like Doris Day well enough, and would buy this separately, but it does not fit the quality of the rest. This is especially true when you think of all the wonderful MGMs which still have not made it to Blu. yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks