What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Mary Shelley's Frankenstein -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One might wonder precisely what Mary Shelley might think of Mr. Branagh's take on her work (1818 was it?), and how she might consider the new 4k from Kino versus the old Sony Blu-ray?

Although she would have understood the concept of electricity, probably from her discussions with Mr. Franklin, she might have wondered what those shiny little discs were, and how they captured both audio and imagery.

But then again, she might have wondered how audio was reproduced, and at the same time what form of deviltry was creating moving images on what should have been a static painting.

Might have led to a brilliant conversation after dinner, and during a storm.

I was asking different questions whilst viewing Arrow's new 4k. While it's lovely, and the rather course grain disappears nicely at a nominal viewing distance, would have a newly compressed Blu-ray have sufficed?

Presumably, it doesn't matter, as the new disc, replete with more than enough extras to put it in Criterion turf is conveniently priced at $35. A bit expensive, but not terrible considering.

This is an interesting film. Very good, but never great. With a bit of a new take on the creature, as well as a homo-erotic tussle, that seems odd at best, but the designs have always been their in Shelley's work.

Do you need this in 4k?

Yes, if you admire the film.

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

RAH

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I always liked the movie, but there was a little something about it missing for me. I'm not sure what.

I will still likely pick it up at some point but hopefully at a lower price. I guess in some ways it complements Bram Stroker's Dracula (which I much preferred) on my shelf.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I don't need this film, even on a VHS tape!
Aidy Bryant Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks